Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: need help w/ hard to kill trojan

Quote Originally Posted by steamwiz View Post
    HI

Thank you for the write-up/report, I'm sure it will help many people.

Normally I'd be telling you what to delete to clean up now, but I think you are more than capable of deciding for yourself ...

The file you uploaded for me was 0 bytes ... can you upload it again please...
    Hmm I assume you talk about the file uploaded to bleepingcomputer? was it winlicense.zip or you got a winlicense.exe as 0 ? I ask as at the time I was a bit tired in my head ;-) and first tried to upload the exe twice with error result before my brain kicked in and told me to zip it.

2008-02-14 22:22 . 2008-02-14 22:22 17,255,626 --a------ C:\temp\WinLicenseDemo.zip < is this it ?

2008-02-22 11:51 . 2008-02-22 11:55 <DIR> d-------- C:\WinLicense <<< is this your legit version ?
    The latter is my legit, the other is the official demo I downloaded just to compare.

2008-02-15 00:12 . 2008-02-15 00:11 407,680 --a------ C:\temp\aswclnr.exe < avast! Virus Cleaner Tool - The latest version is 1.0.211, built on 11.5.2007. Size: 398 KB ... 407,680 is a little on the large size - check it out or delete it.
    It's their trojan scan and remover tool, pretty useless actually and it has been deleted. Actually I removed Avast completely in favour of AVG Free as it (together with VBA32 and RegRun) was the only scanners that picked up the original infection.

These look like legit setup files you have saved in the temp folder, saving files in a temp folder is a good way to loose them, many cleanup programs delete all files in temp folders... if you want to keep these - move them somewhere more permanent.

2008-02-18 00:53 . 2008-02-18 00:53 2,062,665 --a------ C:\temp\spywareguardsetup.exe
    2008-02-18 00:42 . 2008-02-18 00:43 2,566,736 --a------ C:\temp\spywareblastersetup351.exe
    2008-02-17 23:14 . 2008-02-17 23:13 15,852,952 --a------ C:\temp\jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe.exe
    2008-02-14 22:27 . 2008-02-14 22:38 21,364,592 --a------ C:\temp\aaw2007.exe
    It's more of my private temp folder actually were I put anything new or unknown unless they have a proper place already. But you are right, maybe I should rename it to something else as this is files I want to control myself when to delete.

2007-08-26 00:41 23 --sha-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\abbdadee_r.dll < delete this
    I also found in system32 this file: adffbdceebefb3_r.ocx 1kb and it looks to me as a candidate for deletion as well?

Then I have one C:\LogFile.Etl with the enourmous size of almost 2 gb and it has a time stamp of 2008-02-24 10:21 which is about the time I got back to the computer having had some hours of sleep after finally killing the thing. I just thought if you know anything about this file before I delete it?

a couple of other things ...

1. You mentioned the registry keys you saw were not quite the same as in the write-up I pointed you to ... would you post the registry keys you are referring to please...
    Well maybe I expressed myself unclear as english isn't my native lang... What I meant actually was that I didn't have all of the keys listed in that write up. Now it's all gone so I cannot check back but I think the keys as such I had was the same. When I google it I found them to match Bagle.hi and Bagle.iw (or if it was .wi) but if you get the original infector it should be possible to study it in a secure env in more detail I guess.

Things are a bit unclear as I realize I been struggling with this for 10 days (when I really should have done other things, like work) and the first 2-3 days I did it totally on my own as I though I was capable to fix it but at least I managed to stop its propagation.

2. This infection disabled safemode, but you appear to have it back OK ?

If you are having any problems with that, please run Safeboot repair by sUBs:
    http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...tKeyRepair.exe

I think that's it...

steam
    Well here I think this variant act differently, appreantly it doesn't delete the Safe Mode keys but add junk to them - but I am not sure about that. Originally I couldn't boot into safe more but then somehow it got fixed. At the time I couldn't run almost anything security related but then I managed to get rid of the LEGACY_SROSA keys and I think it was after that I could get into safe mode. However, I later come to realize that somehow (at least certain parts of) the computer belived to still run in safe mode while it actually was in normal mode - got messages like "this service cannot be started in safe more" and similar when trying to install or uninstall certain programs (using services I assume).

I now seem to have fixed this, I did it with help of this url http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/0...th-a-reg-file/

Do you think I still should run Safeboot repair?

I haven't run a kav scan yet as I thought of manually clean up a bit in my old files as there probably is much that doesn't serve its purpose anymore. I did run a full AVG scan and it found a couple of type trojan.generic and obfustat in my old files, but this is stuff that haven't been touched for years except when it has been moved from an older small HDD to my new big one. It should really have been put on dvd's or deleted but you know how it is with time and computer work.

So now I will reboot with the fixed reg key you gave me as well and I will start to run programs again to see if things works or not. So far I have not run anything except for the most absolute necessary. Then I will reinstall my Outpost Firewall, maybe I will do that first actually to catch any attempt to escape out.

I did uninstall my firewall some month ago as I found it a bit of a resourse hog, and I have another firewall higher up anyway blocking most incoming but nothing outgoing actually. Now there is a new release though so I will give it a chance as I still have a valid license for it. Ok I will get to works with it then... and I haven't had time for the other logs yet, but I will come to it, felt a bit exhousted before after 10 days with too long ours
    Life on Earth is expensive but it includes a free trip around the Sun every year.

steam, something is still wicked with my system...

After changing that reg key you gave me and rebooted I noticed the following.

1. it took (and still takes) extremely long time to boot.
    2. at login, when I click on my user name icon I am actually asked for a password, leaving it blank let me in. Previously I only had to click the icon (I didn't consider a passwd necessary as no one else come to my computer).

3. The Task bar looks different, thinner and using the classic theme. Also no program show up in the task bar (I noticed this later though so not sure if it was like that from start).

4. If I click an url that wants to open IE7 I just get "Connecting..." in the page tab and it stays with that, got ones though a message "server is busy" or something like that, I think it was with AVG, and also with AVG if I check for updates and found, when downloading it say the file is corrupted. Downloading from their site and update from folder works ok. Using IE7 "normaly" works, but if not forced to I am

I had a look at AVG's pages an ended up at the one about removing malware. I thought for fun to try the procedure there, ran windows clean up and then I downloaded CWShreader, ran just a scan and
    CWS.Smartfinder FOUND
    CWS.kjsearch FOUND

Because I am currious I check to move to bin instead of delete and ran Fix
    CWS.Smartfinder REMOVED
    CWS.kjsearch REMOVED

but nothing showsup in bin, so I uncheck it and do Fix again and again it say removed for these items.

I rebooted and Fix again but same as before.

Now I decide to run Safeboot Repair (log comes next in own post) and I then reboot. This makes the task bar look as before, but still nothing shows up there.

Another thing, I noticed the RegRun icon in tray changed before, it is now back to normal. AVG icon doesn't show up any more. I will also post a fresh HJT log as you probably will ask me to do so ;-)

Also it seem like I cannot copy and paste in this editor, but that is maybe set that way? I can copy and past in my editor.
    Life on Earth is expensive but it includes a free trip around the Sun every year.

Default Safeboot repair results

I meant above if I try to copy something in this editor I cannot paste it back, like copy doesn't take. I can copy in my text editor though and paste it here (using FF).

Reg export of SafeBoot key after repair:
    ========================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot]
    "AlternateShell"="cmd.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\aawservice]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\AppMgmt]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Base]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Boot Bus Extender]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Boot file system]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\CryptSvc]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\DcomLaunch]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmadmin]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmboot.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmio.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmload.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmserver]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\EventLog]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\File system]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Filter]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\HelpSvc]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Netlogon]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\PCI Configuration]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\PlugPlay]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\PNP Filter]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Primary disk]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\PSEXESVC]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\RpcSs]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\SCSI Class]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\sermouse.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\sr.sys]
    @="FSFilter System Recovery"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\SRService]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\System Bus Extender]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\vds]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\vga.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\vgasave.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\WinMgmt]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]
    @="Universal Serial Bus controllers"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="CD-ROM Drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="DiskDrive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E969-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Standard floppy disk controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Hdc"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Keyboard"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Mouse"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E977-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="PCMCIA Adapters"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="SCSIAdapter"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="System"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Floppy disk drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{533C5B84-EC70-11D2-9505-00C04F79DEAF}]
    @="Volume shadow copy"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
    @="Volume"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}]
    @="Human Interface Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\aawservice]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\AFD]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\AppMgmt]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Base]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Boot Bus Extender]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Boot file system]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Browser]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\CryptSvc]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\DcomLaunch]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Dhcp]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmadmin]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmboot.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmio.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmload.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmserver]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\DnsCache]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\EventLog]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\File system]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Filter]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\HelpSvc]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\ip6fw.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\ipnat.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\LanmanServer]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\LanmanWorkstation]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\LmHosts]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Messenger]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NDIS]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NDIS Wrapper]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Ndisuio]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetBIOS]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetBIOSGroup]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetBT]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetDDEGroup]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Netlogon]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetMan]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Network]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetworkProvider]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\nm]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\nm.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NtLmSsp]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PCI Configuration]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PlugPlay]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PNP Filter]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PNP_TDI]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Primary disk]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PSEXESVC]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdpcdd.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdpdd.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdpwd.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdsessmgr]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\RpcSs]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\SCSI Class]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\sermouse.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\SharedAccess]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\sr.sys]
    @="FSFilter System Recovery"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\SRService]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Streams Drivers]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\System Bus Extender]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Tcpip]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\TDI]
    @="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\tdpipe.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\tdtcp.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\termservice]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\UploadMgr]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\vga.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\vgasave.sys]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\WinMgmt]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\WZCSVC]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{1a3e09be-1e45-494b-9174-d7385b45bbf5}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]
    @="Universal Serial Bus controllers"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="CD-ROM Drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="DiskDrive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E969-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Standard floppy disk controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Hdc"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Keyboard"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Mouse"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Net"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E973-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="NetClient"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E974-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="NetService"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E975-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="NetTrans"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E977-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="PCMCIA Adapters"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="SCSIAdapter"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="System"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="Floppy disk drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
    @="Volume"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}]
    @="Human Interface Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Option]
    "OptionValue"=dword:00000001

========================

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\minimal\aawservice
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\minimal\PSEXESVC

Default Fresh HJT

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 15:02, on 2008-02-25
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TSVNCache.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
    C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\hqtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Greatis\REGRUN~1\WatchDog.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Greatis\REGRUN~1\regrun2.exe
    C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Web Test Recorder 9.0 Helper - {E31CE47F-C268-41ba-897B-B415E613947D} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.RecorderBarBHO90.dll
    O2 - BHO: FlashFXP Helper for Internet Explorer - {E5A1691B-D188-4419-AD02-90002030B8EE} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashFXP\IEFlash.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vmware-tray] C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VMware hqtray] "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\hqtray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegRun WinBait] C:\WINDOWS\winbait.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [@RegRunOnSecure] C:\PROGRA~1\Greatis\REGRUN~1\OnSecure.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Registry] "C:\Program Files\Greatis\RegRunSuite\lsoon.exe" -1 30 "C:\Program Files\Greatis\RegRunSuite\rescue.exe" /a "J:\backreg\rstore.ini"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Regrun2] C:\PROGRA~1\Greatis\REGRUN~1\WatchDog.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-507921405-725345543-1003\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User '?')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-507921405-725345543-1003\..\Run: [Registry] "C:\Program Files\Greatis\RegRunSuite\lsoon.exe" -1 30 "C:\Program Files\Greatis\RegRunSuite\rescue.exe" /a "J:\backreg\rstore.ini" (User '?')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-507921405-725345543-1003\..\Run: [Regrun2] C:\PROGRA~1\Greatis\REGRUN~1\WatchDog.exe (User '?')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User '?')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - S-1-5-21-1482476501-507921405-725345543-1003 Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk.disabled (User '?')
    O4 - S-1-5-21-1482476501-507921405-725345543-1003 Startup: SpeedFan.lnk.disabled (User '?')
    O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk.disabled
    O4 - Startup: SpeedFan.lnk.disabled
    O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk.disabled
    O4 - Global Startup: Dispatcher.lnk.disabled
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O15 - Trusted Zone: *.astrocalc.com
    O16 - DPF: {0B79F48A-E8D6-11DB-9283-E25056D89593} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.1) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english...an_unicode.cab
    O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://downloads.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
    O16 - DPF: {56762DEC-6B0D-4AB4-A8AD-989993B5D08B} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://www.eset.eu/buxus/docs/OnlineScanner.cab
    O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/res...lscbase370.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/micr...?1189011463281
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AB6B7C91-5A89-46B0-83B7-4A6328408ED3}: NameServer = 213.226.224.12,213.226.224.66
    O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Paradigma Software\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: CVSNT Locking Service 2.5.03.2382 (cvslock) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvslock.exe
    O23 - Service: CVSNT Dispatch service 2.5.03.2382 (cvsnt) - March Hare Software Ltd - C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvsservice.exe
    O23 - Service: PDAgent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

--
    End of file - 8420 bytes

I try to uninstall Ad-Aware 2007 as it never worked first installed and also not after reinstall when others like Avast started to work. But Ad-Aware don't want to uninstall, it say:
    Code:
    Add or Remove program
    The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occure if you are running in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
    [OK]

Security Expert-Emeritus steamwiz's Avatar

HI

It was this file which was received as 0 bytes :-

C:\temp\WinLicenseDemo.zip (the zip) would appreciate you trying again ...

-
    C:\temp is a folder often created by malware to download files to ... there is often so much rubbish in it that I will include deleting the folder completely in a script I give someone ... if any program, legit or malware needs that folder, it will create it.

-
    I also found in system32 this file: adffbdceebefb3_r.ocx 1kb and it looks to me as a candidate for deletion as well?
    Yes ... delete it.

-
    Then I have one C:\LogFile.Etl with the enourmous size of almost 2 gb and it has a time stamp of 2008-02-24 10:21 which is about the time I got back to the computer having had some hours of sleep after finally killing the thing. I just thought if you know anything about this file before I delete it?
    Yes I noticed that in the Combofix log ...

2008-02-24 04:34 . 2008-02-24 10:21 1,783,562,240 --a------ C:\LogFile.Etl

I thought it was something you were running to monitor something, Either you or one of the programs you were running was doing a tracelog & dumping it to that file ... probably RegRun.

Take a look at this :-

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archi.../t-112739.html

If you want to find out more about it, do a google search for LogFile.Etl

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=LogFile%2eEtl

-
    Quote Originally Posted by yettyn
    Quote Originally Posted by steam
    a couple of other things ...

1. You mentioned the registry keys you saw were not quite the same as in the write-up I pointed you to ... would you post the registry keys you are referring to please...
    Well maybe I expressed myself unclear as english isn't my native lang... What I meant actually was that I didn't have all of the keys listed in that write up. Now it's all gone so I cannot check back but I think the keys as such I had was the same. When I google it I found them to match Bagle.hi and Bagle.iw (or if it was .wi) but if you get the original infector it should be possible to study it in a secure env in more detail I guess.
    Yes ... absolutely ... that's why we'd appreciate the file ...

-
    I was about to post the above, then I saw your next post & all the problems ...

The reg file I gave you couldn't have caused those ...

Regrun is a powerful program, I'm wondering if you accidentally removed some registries which you shouldn't have ?

Bagle can damage/delete the Windows installer ... I can give you a link to the newest version at windows update if you want it ...

But I think the best course of action at the moment is to perform a system restore, to your newest restore point, AFTER removing Bagle ... the one created when you last ran Combofix ...

ComboFix 08-02-24.4 - Joakim 2008-02-24 10:33:16.10 - NTFSx86 MINIMAL
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.1592 [GMT 1:00]
    Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Joakim\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
    * Created a new restore point

Then reassess the situation from there ...

During that brief time Bagle was installed we can never be sure something wasn't changed/deleted ... you should consider whether a reinstall is an option for you ... it may give you a chance to also get rid all that unwanted junk you mention ...

steam
    Last edited by steamwiz; 2008-02-25 at 22:04. Reason: to spellcheck
    MICROSOFT MVP - Security 2004/9 .member of ASAP since 2004 - member of U.N.I.T.E

Windows installer link, yes please as I have problems accessing windows update now.

Logfile.Etl was RegRun yes, a trace I ran.

I know reinstall windows would be a sane act, however it's not really an option now if can be avoided. I don't think there has been any security break but things in registry have been changed no doubt.

I'm not sure I have come to upliad WinlicenseDEmo as that's not the file ;-) I must have been tired... I will upload the file again or maybe I shall upload the whole package as it was found online? It's 14Mb

I downloaded WinlicenseDemo from Oreans to compare it with the cracked set, to see if was based on it.

Hi

How about :-
    But I think the best course of action at the moment is to perform a system restore, to your newest restore point, AFTER removing Bagle ... the one created when you last ran Combofix ...

ComboFix 08-02-24.4 - Joakim 2008-02-24 10:33:16.10 - NTFSx86 MINIMAL
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.1592 [GMT 1:00]
    Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Joakim\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
    * Created a new restore point

Then reassess the situation from there ...
    Windows installer :-

http://www.download.com/Microsoft-Wi...-10757334.html
    MICROSOFT MVP - Security 2004/9 .member of ASAP since 2004 - member of U.N.I.T.E

Well it looks like I screwed up that restore point... or system restore is on but say it cannot protect my computer - probably because some critical services dont run, also I have no network in control panel and IE7 wont start. Tried to reinstall it but it complains about cryptographic service not running. In other words, something closes down my services or don't allow them to start - any idea?

I do have some registry backups taken with Erunt, can it be good enough you think?

Another thing and maybe it's what is playing here, RegRun again complained about Almanahe.D worm, same as it did on first reboot after bagle was removed.

Combofix created that restore point OK ... if it couldn't create one, it would have said so, so it got messed up AFTER it was created ...

As for the Erunt backups, how old are they ? I noticed somwhere in your logs where Erunt backups were disabled...

cryptographic service not running ?

I had a quick look back over your thread & noticed this as early as post #10 - spybot log ...

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...5&postcount=10

Located: WinLogon, AtiExtEvent
    command: Ati2evxx.dll
    file: Ati2evxx.dll
    size: 0
    MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
    Warning: if the file is actually larger than 0 bytes,
    the checksum could not be properly calculated!

Located: WinLogon, crypt32chain
    command: crypt32.dll
    file: crypt32.dll

Located: WinLogon, cryptnet
    command: cryptnet.dll
    file: cryptnet.dll

Located: WinLogon, cscdll
    command: cscdll.dll
    file: cscdll.dll

Located: WinLogon, ScCertProp
    command: wlnotify.dll
    file: wlnotify.dll

Located: WinLogon, Schedule

Located: WinLogon, sclgntfy
    command: sclgntfy.dll
    file: sclgntfy.dll

Located: WinLogon, SensLogn
    command: WlNotify.dll
    file: WlNotify.dll

Located: WinLogon, termsrv

Located: WinLogon, WgaLogon
    command: WgaLogon.dll
    file: WgaLogon.dll

Located: WinLogon, wlballoon

Are all those files really missing? or 0 bytes ... the MD5 says they are ...

It's midnight again (as you are well aware it's 1am where you are)

So this is a link to some info on the highlighted one ...

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/crypt32.asp

this is looking more & more like a reinstall I'm sorry to say

steam

Yes just to face the facts, it has gone too bad or I screwed it up somewere on my own. I am doing a repair reinstall now and see where it will take me. Hopefully it should leave me somewhat near to where I was before the infection.