Thread: Norton Antivirus Vs AVG

Exclamation Norton Antivirus Vs AVG

I just wanted ask ppls opinions as to which one i should keep on my computer....to be completely honest i dont want to get rid of norton antivirus, the main reason being that i like the fact i can block IP's that have attempted to hack on my computer by actually being able to put the the IP's in the restricted zone, which i dont think AVG Antivirus offers in its free version, i also like the fact the norton actually asks me if i want the Active X's to be permitted or not on certain pages which i think is a very handy feature, whereas once again AVG does not do.......so i was just wondering what ppl thought, all advice will be appreciated

hi shandyleer,

I personally run avg (free) on my machine and have had no problems with it. I'm not too sure about norton because many people say that it is very bloated.

My recommendation is that:
    1. you only use one antivirus
    2. use one that you are happy with and feel at ease with
    3. there are many really good free antivirus products - you don't have to spend loads of money on your computer security - for more info: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16242
    Last edited by honda12; 2008-02-19 at 22:59.

oh yeah,

I find common sense a great tool to stop viruses!

So if u think i feel comfortable with Norton i should carry on using it?
    i have to be honest its the outdated version from 2005 that i have, and the 12 months free updates are obviously up, but as i said i really like the features it offers for free, the Active X prompts, the IP blocking (the personal firewall), it updates the intusion signatures for free as well, and the live update, the only problem is the actual antivirus capability, obviously i couldnt afford the the updates after the free 12 months continously, so it is behind in its definitions, but to me the features outweigh the vices, and thats why im asking....???
    Last edited by shandyleer; 2008-02-19 at 23:18.

Hello shandyleer,

To keep things on the right track, please inform your helper, little eagle in the malware forum of this topic.

Direct any questions regarding the anti virus program to him.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24104

Thanks.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

hmmm, that changes everything. Malware is constantly changing and evolving. If you do not have the latest definition files, you are putting your computer at risk. I would recommend uninstalling norton and installing one of the recommended free alternatives (as mentioned in my previous post).

- should have checked that out!

Thanks Tashi

Closing this thread, until the problems in shandyleer's malware forum topic are resolved.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016