Thread: S&D 1.5.2 to 1.5.2.20

Question S&D 1.5.2 to 1.5.2.20

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new and a bit lost. Spybot invited an update from 1.5.2 to 1.5.2.20. Both programs are now installed. Is this usual? Do I have to unistall the older version or do they run together? I'm used to updates of programs removing old files and versions. Also the new version seems to want installing each time it's activated, is this correct behaviour? I have noticed (as have others, I read) that my computer has now slowed considerably but not stopped or crashed.
    Many thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lillibet View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm new and a bit lost. Spybot invited an update from 1.5.2 to 1.5.2.20. Both programs are now installed. Is this usual? Do I have to unistall the older version or do they run together? I'm used to updates of programs removing old files and versions. Also the new version seems to want installing each time it's activated, is this correct behaviour? I have noticed (as have others, I read) that my computer has now slowed considerably but not stopped or crashed.
    Many thanks
    The current version of Spybot itself is "Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2". The version of the SpybotSD.exe program within that version is currently SpybotSD.exe version 1.5.2.20.

If you already had "Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2" installed, "Spybot" should not have "invited an update from 1.5.2 to 1.5.2.20".

You indicated "Both programs are now installed". Exactly what are the two (2) versions you have installed and where are you getting that information from.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile S&D 1.5.2 to 1.5.2.20

Hi,
    The info comes from 'Add & Remove programs'. the versions are:
    1.5.2 61.09MB and
    1.5.2.20 41.11MB

Which one is correct?
    Thanks

Default Two versions of Spybot

Hi, I'm a newbie too.

I read this post and I noticed I too seem to have two versions of Spybot, although my current version doesn't give me problems. Actually version 1.5.2 was slower to open (it was taking 30-40sec to open), the new one opens quickly.

In Add/Remove Programs I have two items:
    1) Spybot - Search & Destroy 21.96MB
    2) Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 40.50MB

The icons are different too:
    1) has a magnifying lens in the icon
    2) has a padlock in the icon

Is there a difference between the two? Should one be uninstalled?
    Last edited by redblack; 2008-02-21 at 00:50.

There most likely are not two versions of Spybot installed. More that likely it is just a case were there are two uninstall entries. If you uninstall either via add and remove programs you will more than likely uninstall Spybot.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Uninstall Info. Select the two entries one at a time and delete the entry where:
    1. The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
    2. The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins000.exe of where you installed the software.

If both entries have those features, than delete the one with the oldest "install date".

If you are not sure which entry to delete, right click on the listing and "Copy to clipboard". Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread editing out all entries except the two Spybot entries.

I uninstalled my previous version of Spybot before upgrading, therefore I only have one entry. That entry is Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.

Code:
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2 ({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)
        install date: 20080131
    install location: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
       uninstall cmd: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.exe"
           publisher: Safer Networking Limited
           help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=support

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi.

These are the two entries:

=======================
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 (Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1)
    install date: 20080206
    uninstall cmd: "C:\WINDOWS\unins000.exe"
    publisher: Safer Networking Ltd.
    help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2 ({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)
    install date: 20080206
    install location: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    uninstall cmd: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.exe"
    publisher: Safer Networking Limited
    help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=support

====================

I understand I should delete the first one, but is it correct? It says 1.5.2.20, while the second says 1.5.2?

redblack:

Yes.

Default S&D 1.5.2 to 1.5.2.20

Hi,
    I have checked as advised and now have only 1 version which is an exact replica of your own, aside from the date.

Many Thanks

Default Completed . . .

"md usa spybot fan,"

Have completed as per your instructions and all are normal again. For now anyway, there will never be any guarantee that will never happen again with my operations on my system. All efforts will be extended to prevent this from occurring any more.

Thank you for your patients and complete instructions for correcting these errors.

I was a little confused by the one, not legitimate entry, that was for v1.5.2.20 with the date of 2/7/2008 when that version was not downloaded until 4/12/2008. Plus the v1.5.2.20 that is installed now, as indicated by SBS&D Menu/Advanced Mode/HELP/About, and is reported in C/P as v1.5.2.
    LoneLurker"LoneWanderer""Adults are obsolete children. Dr. Seuss
    Win7 Pro SP1 x64;FireFox V. current: SBS&D V. current; WinPatrol, WinPrivacy, WinAntiRansom