Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too many temporary files

Angry too many temporary files

Hi, Everytime I go into my spybot check for problems it shows me that I have alot of temporary files to clear up. This has nver happened before. I am clearing the files up more then twice a day. Somebody please tell me what to do to stop all the files it is slowing down my system? I was going to uninstall spybot and then reinstall it,but, I am not sure that is the best thing to do? I believe I am up to date on the version which would be 1.6.2? I would appreciate it if someone could reply back to me and let me know what I have to do? All my scans are clean they show nothing. I am also running Vista home.

Thank You,
    gypsy

Hello,

Temporary files are always created on your pc, you can't stop that.
    But if you want you can deactivate the temporary files deleting in Spybot and skip right to the scan if that's it what you want....

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Temporary files

Hi, Sandra, I know it is always creating temp files,but, not over 66,000! Please explain to me about deactivating the temp files deleting in Spybot? All of these files are slowing down my system and I have to delete them more than once a day? There has to be some kind of repair for this?

Thank you,
    gypsy

Temporary files are always created on your pc, you can't stop that.
    But if you want you can deactivate the temporary files deleting in Spybot and skip right to the scan if that's it what you want....

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot[/QUOTE]

This has nver happened before. I am clearing the files up more then twice a day.
    The latest build of Spybot-Search&Destroy prompts you to remove your Temp. files when it has reached more than 100 files. The general concept of clearing temp files is to reduce clutter and speed up your Spybot scan. In reality, pretty much all the files in the Temp. folder are useless and some potentially malicious (if a malicious website dropped a little gift in your folder via exploit)...
    I am clearing the files up more then twice a day.
    Are you sure you are clearing the Windows Temp. files? Not other files?

To be honest, according to you 60,000 Temp. files is more than enough to delay your computer... You have some serious cleaning to do (if the 60K files [count] is actually the Temp. files).

What I would suggest you do is to download ATF Cleaner by Atribune:
    http://www.atribune.org/index.php?op...d=25&Itemid=25
    -
    It's a standalone application that requires no install. Open it, select all, and Empty.
    All of these files are slowing down my system and I have to delete them more than once a day?
    Either you have a misunderstanding of which is which or you do some serious processing work on your machine...

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
    Hi, Sandra, I know it is always creating temp files,but, not over 66,000! Please explain to me about deactivating the temp files deleting in Spybot? All of these files are slowing down my system and I have to delete them more than once a day? There has to be some kind of repair for this?
    You should download Ccleaner and run a "scan". It deletes all temporary files, your internet log, everything. Downloading site: Www.ccleaner.com (It's free!).

Quote Originally Posted by imageek View Post
    You should download Ccleaner and run a "scan". It deletes all temporary files, your internet log, everything. Downloading site: Www.ccleaner.com (It's free!).
    Hi there,

CCleaner has other options one can check beyond cleaning temporary files, so I am adding this link. Registry Cleaners, not recommended

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Lightbulb

You can change the size of the temporary files folder:

In IE(8)>Tools>Internet Options>Under Browsing History Click 'Settings'>Change the settings for "Disk Space to Use"

You can also check-mark 'Delete Browsing History on Exit'.

Temporary Files can also be cleaned up by: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk CleanUp.

Hope that helps...

I'd usually limit both Firefox and IE's Temp. file storage to 50MBs. By default it was up to like 100MB worth of space for IE. Some user's aren't aware of that setting unfortunately.

But that accounts for a portion of the contents in the folder :D. How about installations, uninstallations, MS-Updates? Ah.

Default Temporary files

Hi drragostea, thank you for your reply. All I know is when I check for problems on Spybot it shows me all these temp files to be cleaned then I run my scan and no problems exist it is always a clean scan. I am running Vista on my system. That is all I can tell you. All I know is there is alot of files and I have never had that amount before. Maybe you can suggest something to clean up this mess? I downloaded ccleaner as Sandra suggested and ran the cleaner. I am not sure yet if this cleared it up or not? Please help me figure out this problem.

gypsy

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

The latest build of Spybot-Search&Destroy prompts you to remove your Temp. files when it has reached more than 100 files. The general concept of clearing temp files is to reduce clutter and speed up your Spybot scan. In reality, pretty much all the files in the Temp. folder are useless and some potentially malicious (if a malicious website dropped a little gift in your folder via exploit)...

Are you sure you are clearing the Windows Temp. files? Not other files?

To be honest, according to you 60,000 Temp. files is more than enough to delay your computer... You have some serious cleaning to do (if the 60K files [count] is actually the Temp. files).

What I would suggest you do is to download ATF Cleaner by Atribune:
    http://www.atribune.org/index.php?op...d=25&Itemid=25
    -
    It's a standalone application that requires no install. Open it, select all, and Empty.

Either you have a misunderstanding of which is which or you do some serious processing work on your machine...

Default Temporary files

Hi, SomaticCorpse, I have not downloaded IE8 yet I know alot of people that have had problems with it so I am holding off. As you can see I have other problems right now with all these temp files. Way too many. As far disk cleanup goes I have ran that. There has to be some kind of solution for this. Any help would be appreciated. All my scans come up clean? Spybot, Windows Defender and my antivrus. So if there is problems they are hidden.
    Thanks for replying so quickly. I am running Vista.

gypsy

Quote Originally Posted by SomaticCorpse View Post
    You can change the size of the temporary files folder:

In IE(8)>Tools>Internet Options>Under Browsing History Click 'Settings'>Change the settings for "Disk Space to Use"

You can also check-mark 'Delete Browsing History on Exit'.

Temporary Files can also be cleaned up by: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk CleanUp.

Hope that helps...