Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just my luck, updated and duble S&D files

Default Just my luck, updated and duble S&D files

Not a real issue I don't imagine, but my recent updated S&D resulted in an extra set of certain files.

The doubled up set of files are in my C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery folder.

One's named MicrosoftWindowsIEFirewallBypass.zip and another MicrosoftWindowsIEFirewallBypass1.zip

Same folder also has two WinAgentbid.zip w/one named WinAgentbid1.zip

Pretty certain it was caused by the S&D update apparrently not dealing with my start program list having been tweaked a bit as opposed to S&D's default entries in the startup list.

Essentially I ended up with two S&D links on my startup list (i.e.; start>programs>'S&D'). I resolved that simply by removing the older one, but am uncertain about the duplicated zip files.

Fairly sure there's only meant to be one and I should be deleting the '1zip's, especially since both sets have the exact same created and modified dates, right?
    Last edited by urrguru; 2008-02-25 at 12:37.

I do have two separate S&D registry backups for changes I made using S&D.

The zip files couldn't be related to those scans and action, could it, and maybe I need to keep the duplicated zip files?

That likely isn't true as the zip files are all the same date, unlike the registry backups occurring days later, but thought I'd better mention that and the following.

Also I'm finding more seemingly duplicate like files in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes folder.

Examples are: Hijackers.sbi, HijackersC.sbi, Keyloggers.sbi, KeyloggersC.sbi, Malware.sbi, MalwareC.sbi

But these differ in created dates and file sizes (unlike the zip and 1zip files I'm more concerned about).
    Last edited by urrguru; 2008-02-25 at 13:02.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Most likely none of the files you mentioned in the Recovery folder are duplicates. They are more than likely two fixes on similarly named detections done at the same time.

The files such as Hijackers.sbi, HijackersC.sbi, etc. are definitely not duplicates. They are explained in the post from 2006-10-13:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for reply, but do other users have the mention duplicated zip files of the exact same date in the recovery folder (7/24/2007 10:05 AM)?

I have no issues leaving well enough alone, but if recovery is ever needed, I'd like to be assured it will function.

Do they also have the exactly same content? Might be that they're about two different registry keys fixed at the same time. Files and registry keys are often packed into separate recovery files to be able to allow a selection of parts only when undoing recovery.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Thanks for replying. Really.

All 4 of the two duplicated files also list as 4,096 bytes size on disc.

Ref...
    WinAgentbid.zip
    WinAgentbid1.zip
    MicrosoftWindowsIEFirewallBypass.zip
    MicrosoftWindowsIEFirewallBypass1.zip

Surely some user also has one or two registry backups and their Recovery* folder has or has not duplicated subject files too?

Ref...
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery

urrguru:

PepiMK asked:

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Do they also have the exactly same content?
    The size alone will not tell you that.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for all the comments.

I have the mentioned duplicated files and all the duplicate mentioned files have the exact same date, time and size.

Does anyone or maybe everyone also have these duplicated files in their S&D Recovery folder ? ?

Simple enough question, please, won't someone reply to the question?

urrguru:

These files are not duplicates:
    • WinAgentbid.zip
    • WinAgentbid1.zip
    • MicrosoftWindowsIEFirewallBypass.zip
    • MicrosoftWindowsIEFirewallBypass1.zip

The suffix 1,2,3, etc. is added to the name of the recovery file if there are multiple fixes done for detections of the same name.

Look at the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log from when those recovery files were created and see if there weren't two fix done on detections of the same name.

There are two access the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files:
    [list][*]Method 1:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that was produced when you found and fixed the detection you are questioning. Open it.
    [*]Method 2
    [list][*]The Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
    • Windows Vista:
      C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    [*]Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad.

Default D-o-e-s a-n-y-o-n-e e-l-s-e h-a-v-e t-w-o ???????????

So does anyone, I mean anyone?