Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to server?

Thanks,Sandra.

If what I've read is correct,mattandlyn,then Protected Mode for Internet Explorer 7 or 8 will not work if user account control is switched off.Is User Account control enabled on the affected computer?And is the Operating System Windows Vista or Windows 7?

In Internet Explorer,could you go to Tools,Manage Add-ons,Enable or disable add-ons.Is AVG Safe Search listed as Enabled?

Thumbs down Still no connection...

Thank you all. I have been most frustrated with this and to save my sanity not bothering on that computer. But it’s still causing problems. I am using Windows 7. AVG safe search is listed and enabled. I’ve discovered what UAC is and I can get IE to show protected mode as on. Thanks.
    Still can’t connect to safer networking sites direct though and when downloading anything I get “The smart Screen Filter online service is temporarily unavailable” banner at the bottom of the download dialogue box.
    Also get some odd activity now when navigating to a site it will tell me the site isn’t available but when refreshed will the site will load. Occasionally also it will be redirected to another search site! I’ve downloaded updates from spybot from another computer and run spybot but it doesn’t seem to through up any spyware. All my computers are set up in the same way yet this particular one seem to be performing quite oddly. I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to reinstall OS. Not my preferred option but I hate something like this beating me! But thank you for your help and any other ideas that might crack it!

These could all be coincidences,but since a number of problems you are having are related to security-type things,it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

Instead of re-installing the OS,you might want to get checked out in malware removal instead.

Please read and follow "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Default Corrupt Files

Would todays update problem be the reason I'm getting "Corrupt File, Get a new copy of the program" messages?

Vista
    s&D 1.6.2
    uninstalle'd, and going for a fresh install to resolve some problems.

I don't understand. The downloads page includes the latest detection updates. I assumed this meant you could do a local install. I would prefer to install S&D without any Internet activity whatsoever, then clean the machine, then reconnect the LAN cable. Why can't this be done? Is there not an option to just install S&D, the update it with the detection file? Why does the install have to use network activity?

Hello,

Please download the Installation file and the Update file on another computer,
    copy these to a CD or USB stick and then install and run it on the infected computer.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Please download the Installation file and the Update file on another computer,
    copy these to a CD or USB stick and then install and run it on the infected computer.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Hi Sandra! is http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe automatically updated? I mean, if i download this in december will it have the latest updates?
    Last edited by TheMalwareHunter; 2010-10-15 at 20:00. Reason: clarified the question

Hello,

Yes, under that link you will always find the latest updates.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hello Are the servers down now, cause I'm getting the 'cant connect' message.

Hello,

No, everything should work as it should.
    Have you tried it a second time?
    Which error message do you get exactly?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot