Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to server?

Hello,

During the installation Spybot tries to download the updates.
    You can disable this function in the wizard itself.
    Just untick the checkbox in front of "download updates during installation".
    The updates can be downloaded later on.

For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
    You can also download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link.
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Cool Updater work-around

Quote Originally Posted by kandazar View Post
    anybody hear on why you can't update?
    I cannot use the program's updater -- it cannot make the connection to the update server. I recently went to the SS&D website and downloaded and installed the latest updates directly. That worked.

It's an inconvenience to do so, but SS&D and I have not figured out a way to get the program's updater to connect to their update server.

Good luck,

Louis

Default Error retrieving update info file!

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

During the installation Spybot tries to download the updates.
    You can disable this function in the wizard itself.
    Just untick the checkbox in front of "download updates during installation".
    The updates can be downloaded later on.
    I tried this after installing S&D on Vista Home but when i try to run S&D for the first time it it tries to run the updater anyway, and i get the same sorts of errors as came up during the Install (which said something about "elevation" [which is odd since i'm supposed to be the Admin]).

During the install there was a DOS box that popped open for a sec and all i could read was something "invalid" but from using S&D on XP, this seems a universally common problem.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

SaganGathering:

Installing Spybot under Vista:

If you are getting a error similar to following error while attempting to install Spybot in Vista you must elevate the administrator rights during the installation:
    • Unable to execute c:\programfiles\search & Destroy\sdwinsec.exe
      CreateProcessFailed: Code 740
      the requestor operation requires elevation.

In Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order to install the Spybot-S&D Security Center integration (sdwinsec.exe) which adds Spybot to the Windows Security Center.

Instead of double clicking on the installation program (spybotsd160.exe), right click on it and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

Running Spybot under Vista:

You must run Spybot with elevated administrative rights that are required by Windows Vista to perform many functions. Although you may be running from a Computer Administrator account, Vista requires that you elevate the administrative rights to run a program with full administrative rights.

There are several ways to do that:
    • Elevate the administrative rights for a single running:
      • Instead of double clicking (left clicking) to start Spybot, right-click and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
    • Permanently elevate.
      • If you are running Spybot from a desktop shortcut for example, right click on the desktop shortcut and select Properties.
      • Then go into Application Compatibility and select "Run As administrator".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Did that but still no Joy

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    SaganGathering:

Installing Spybot under Vista:

If you are getting a error similar to following error while attempting to install Spybot in Vista you must elevate the administrator rights during the installation:
    I tried again using Run As Administrator but had almost identical problems. I've created a new thread since this may be Vista-specific, and it involves some other errors, along with a very detailed report.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36266
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-11-10 at 21:23. Reason: added link to topic in the malware forum

Hey,
    I know this is a dead thread but I am still having this problem! I use version 1.6.2.46 and whenever I try to update I always get a pop-up that says "Error retrieving update info file!" I have been googling my butt off trying to find a fix. I found a couple of different ones, and have tried everything applicable:

1.) I cleared the links from a HOSTS file.
    (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS)

2.) I closed a few things from my HJT log.

3.) I added Spybot S&D and SBupdate as exceptions on my firewall

4.) I disabled my firewall

Nothing worked!

I am using Windows Firewall, ESET NOD32 antivirus, and Spy-Sweeper (since Spybot doesn't work)

Really want my spybot back :(

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    <Removed log>

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Indy_Boognish:

I'm sorry but HijackThis logs are not interpreted in this forum. Please see:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

The HJT log is pretty much irrelevant anyway, I just posted it for good measure (obviously a mis-decision).

Regardless, is there anything I can do to be able to update spybot again?

Default I managed to download and install it but then...

It won't run. Is this a server problem as well?

Dave