Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to server?

Default Back Online ?!?

Looks like the update site is back online, well, it at least worked for me just now

Default Set Up Error

Hello,
    I just uninstalled version 1.4.6 and I just tried re-installing version 1.5.2 as for install seems to be working for some people.

I am still getting the same server error message that I was getting on Feb. 23rd, "the server name or address could not be resolved.

I now have no bot protection.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thank you.

Hello,

During the installation Spybot tries to download the updates.
    You can disable this function in the wizard itself.
    Just untick the checkbox in front of "download updates during installation".
    The updates can be downloaded later on.

For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
    You can also download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link.
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default firewall blocks update

I just downloaded version 1.5.2. The automatic update feature froze. However I ignored the feature and worked through the original download withOUT updating (used ctrl+alt+del on Update which claimed to be "not responding"). After the 1.5.2 finished its first scan, I then tried to update but ran into the same "not resonding"; however nothing worked THIS TIME within my browser. So I reloaded, attempted to access internet, discovered no connection, etc; reloaded a second, third, fourth time and eventually regained my internet connection. I attempted several updates via the many different buttons all within Spybot but each attempt ran into same problem. I then shut down my firewall, attempted the update, and was successful.

Apparently the update feature within 1.5.2 does not pass Zone Alarm's firewall unless Spybot is granted permission. Since the update does not trigger a request for permission, ZA denies it. How do I go about allowing the update to access the internet through ZA's firewall without shutting ZA down?

I don't use Zone Alarm,so these instructions could be a bit iffy.But,in Zone Alarm,select Program Control->Programs.
    In the Programs column,look for a program titled Updater for Spybot S&D (or sdupdate.exe,perhaps)click it,then select Allow from the shortcut menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    ....But,in Zone Alarm,select Program Control->Programs.
    In the Programs column,look for a program titled Updater for Spybot S&D (or sdupdate.exe,perhaps)click it,then select Allow from the shortcut menu.
    Zenobia,

Unfortunately, the Spybot program does not appear in the location that you reference, and this is the problem: Spybot does not trigger a reason for Zone Alarm to list Spybot (in any form) in the Programs Control -- consequently, there appears to be no way for a request or a denial of privileges, and I do not know how to list programs in ZA manually. I suspect that I need to enter my registry in order to do that.

Thanks

Ah,okay.My firewall does it differently.
    I see these directions to add a program to the programs list in Zone Alarm.
    Select Programs Control,Programs,then click Add.The Add Program dialog should appear.Locate the program you wish to add,then click Open.In your case,you would probably go to C:\(or your main drive letter)Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy,then find SDUpdate.exe,then click Open.

There are User Guides here,if they apply to your version of Zone Alarm:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...s/zassMain.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    ...Select Programs Control,Programs,then click Add.The Add Program dialog should appear.Locate the program you wish to add,then click Open.... find SDUpdate.exe,then click Open.

There are User Guides here,if they apply to your version of Zone Alarm:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...s/zassMain.jsp
    Zenobia,

Thanks for working with me.

Unfortunately (for me), I have never updated my ZA to a newer version than 2.6.362 (a very old version).

There is no "ADD" button in version 2.6.362.

My current workaround though works (i.e. shut down ZA before attempting the SDUpdate) . Without shutting down, I continually receive a FATAL EXCEPTION error, and the only recovery is to reboot. This leads me to believe that Spybot's SDUpdate.exe is the root cause of the problem, and not Zone Alarm. Nevertheless, I shall attempt an update for the ZA provided that one still exists for Windows 98.

In order to save you further frustrations with me,...I have downloaded Spybot 1.5.2 and updated it as of today; so I really do not have any problem with Spybot.

Thank you again for your persistence, as well as the ZA link.

You're welcome.
    Zone Alarm had this posted for Windows 98,windows 98 SE,and Windows ME users:
    http://zonelabs.com/store/support/win98MEusers.jsp
    So you would have to have a pre-6.5 version of Zone Alarm.
    There are older Zone Alarm products at oldversion.com that look to be newer than the version you have,if you do want to update Zone Alarm to a newer version than you have:
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

Default no update

Hello all

I have read this thread & the one a little further down the page which is headed I cannot update. Feeling worried now because I still cannot update the latest version of Spy bot I also have Adaware & that too will not update.

Is there some sort of big attack against anti spy programs?
    Does it have anything to do with the attack on home routers that I read elsewhere on the Adaware site?

Lacanox