Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to server?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Indy_Boognish:

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Boognish View Post

3.) I added Spybot S&D and SBupdate as exceptions on my firewall
    The program that has to authorized is SDUpdate.exe.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Exclamation How to solve that?

Well... I got that error too:

My Spy-bot wasn't updating because of connection problems, and so the installer. But, the other computer I have into my house could connect to Spy-bot servers (trought ping command).

So, somehow, the DNS system (i don't know wich part) wasn't resolving the Ip Addres of the server, so it can't connect to it.

The fastest solution: Add the entry to your hosts file, so, when you ask for it, it is on your hosts file already solved, and the connection will be done.

Why it is caused? I'd like to know. But, spy-bot itself should reconize if the Ip address is being solved, and, in case not, always have the Ip saved so it can write on the hosts and try to connect.. In case it's not connecting.. Consider the Ip changed, and then, ask the user for inserting the correct Ip of Spy-bot.

Default Can't connect durring Install

Whenever I start Install, select the options, and start to download the current files from the server, I always get the error message that says

"Error Sending Request A connection with the server could not be established."

On the setup it says it is trying to download file updallocator.php (1 of 1) from IP 89.238.64.39.

Is there a way around this or is this a server-wide problem? I installed Spybot S&D a month ago on my father's computer and it worked fine then.

Hello,

I would recommend to start your own thread, or read the whole thread,
    as the answer is given already on page three of this thread:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24808&page=3

During the installation Spybot tries to download the updates.
    You can disable this function in the wizard itself.
    Just untick the checkbox in front of "download updates during installation" or "Download Updates immediately".
    The updates can be downloaded later on.

For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
    You can also download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default update error

At first I was having this error on install until I found on this forum to deslelect scan for updates on the install menu. This got the install done but now when SB S&Destroy is running and I try to run the update definitions I get the message :"the server name or address could not be resolved." I have gone in and added permision for this software in Microsoft Live One Care, I have even turned of my firewall and virus software all to no avail. I have loved using this program and it is very frustrating to have this problem which is making using this software useless. Any advice will be greatly appreciatted.

May God Bless Your Day
    Russell

Hello,

You can also download the updates manually: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link.
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Cannot connect to server

I get that when I try to run Spybot and Ad-Aware, when I try to run HJT and Autoruns I get popup 'windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'. That's new, they all ran fine last week. StopZilla runs, finds up to 17 infected files and claims 100% removal success. Until reboot finishes. Then all profile startups get a pop up 'dll tapi.nfo not found'. Google search works until I click on a recommended site then is redirected to different search engine. I found a thread in here (I'm new) by searching tapi.nfo and the answer was to run HJT which no longer runs. I uninstalled/reinstalled Ad-Aware AE, it came up once, but less than a minute into the search what entire window was gone and then back to the 'cannot connecdt to server'. Suggestions?

Hello,

Please have a look here:
    Spybot doesn't run - What you should do
    Please also create a new thread when you post in this forum and not edit old ones.
    Thanks.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Malware prevents going to website.

I can start SS&D, but it refuses to scan until I update.

Sadly, some piece of malware prevents reaching the update location.

I have downloaded ..._includes.exe

After I run it, will I then be able to scan? or is there a registry entry i must tweak?

thanks

You downloaded the manual updates?
    http://www.spybotupdates.biz/updates...d_includes.exe

No,you shouldn't need to tweak anything in the registry.Spybot should scan after you run the manual updates.