Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to server?

Default I got IE to work

so i got spybot s&d to run on my pc, and i was able to get IE and other Microsoft products to work too, but still can't seem to run updates off of the spybot s&d. i tried using the online Microsoft scanner and that didn't work either. i don't see any signs of virus, but I'm sure there has to be something going on here.

can anyone tell me how to access the Manuel update settings? and what do i need to set them to, to get this update going?

Default Can't connect to the server at all....

This self same thing has now happend to me. The advice all seems very good about unchecking update at time of instalation but one of my computers will not connect to safer networking site at all. I have used chrome as well but it just tells me the DNS can't be resolved.

I have 3 computers all connected to a common router (2 wired and 1 wireless) and the other two have no problems but the third (wired) doesn't recognise SW site at all. Downloading updates via the other computers is not a problem but clearly there is something lurking in the system which isn't good and clearly is attcking spybot it's self. Firewall has nothing to do with it as it's been the same with it on and off and before it was installed etc etc....

Is Spybot under attack??? Some one must know what's going on because I'm stumped.

You could look in your Hosts file on the affected computer,which should be located at:
    Windows 95 - C:windows
    Windows 98 - C:\windows
    Windows Me - C:\windows
    Windows 2000 - C:windows\system32\drivers\etc
    Windows XP - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    Windows NT - C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
    Windows Vista - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    Windows 7 - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Do you see any entries similar to something like this?
    127.0.0.1 www.safer-networking.org

Default Still no connection...

Thanks for the advice. However there are lots of entries but none with safer-networking listed. I assume that the 127.0.0.1 prevents the listed sites from connecting to a web page so the absence of an entry for the safer networking site means I should be able to get on line!.

I have downloaded the updates onto another computer and run spybot but still can not connect to the website. Any other suggestions?

http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html
    Are you able to access http://www.safer-networking.org/ with the affected computer using the above website?

Did all the entries in the hosts file have 127.0.0.1 listed in front of them,or were there entries listed that had a different number in front of it?

And,are you having any other noticeable problems with the computer that can't access the Spybot site?

Thanks for the advice. I will look back over the entries. All the entries have the same 127.0.0.1. The computer appears to be working in all other respects. There are times when a selected site returns the link appears to be broken. but refreshing the address usually brings it up. There appears to be one other issue and that is that IE protected mode doesn't seem to operate. Switching it on and or off makes no difference and any downloads indicate that the download checker is not functioning. One final issue is that AVG doesn't indicate dangerous websites with a red cross, come to that it doesn't show the green tick either. The final oddity that appears to just suddenly happen is that my scanner isn't recognised! I am not at the computer in question so will try the anonymouse website as soon as I get back and will post a reply. Thank you for helping.

You're welcome.
    re:Protected Mode not working in Internet Explorer....is UAC turned on?

Could you doubleclick AVG,then doubleclick LinkScanner?Is there a checkmark beside Enable AVG Search-Shield?

Default No access to safer networking web site

Yes I can get to the website using anonymouse.org! no problem with that and yes AVG search shield is ticked.

Default No access to safer networking web site

Sorry what is UAC?

Hello,

If you’ve used Windows Vista for more than 3.7 minutes, you know what UAC (User Account Control) is.. it’s the obnoxious, nagging popup window that will be your life for the next 3-5 years unless you switch back to XP in frustration.

See here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot