Thread: Unable to Change IE7 Homepage

Default Unable to Change IE7 Homepage

I am using Windows XP Home SP2, and Spybot 1.5.2. My ISP is changing its homepage URL soon, and is transitioning now. We are supposed to make the new URL our homepage, click the "make this my homepage" in RH corner of IE, etc. In the past I have gone to the IE tweaks page, unchecked the "lock IE homepage" block, changed the homepage URL in Control Panel, no problem. Today I find that I can't do this, even in Control Panel/Internet Options, with my owner/administrator password; the homepage is greyed out. I also tried it in Safe Mode using my other administrator password, and also could not change the homepage. I was able to type in a new URL, but the "use current" option was greyed out. I don't know if I have a Spybot problem, or a Windows problem. There is also a yellow bar at the bottom of the homepage change page, saying some settings are reserved for the adiministrator, even though I am using administrator passwords. Also, a strange thing: when I uncheck the "lock IE start page" box, and I go back into Spybot later, it has somehow become checked. Any ideas?
    Last edited by GeorgeC; 2008-02-25 at 23:29. Reason: typo

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

What other anti-malware software are you running that may be blocking the changing of the homepage?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Yesterday after posting here, I solved the problem. I went first to the MS IE7 XP user groups, and found some info about other anti-malware that also could require administrator privileges, etc. Of those, I have Spysweeper 5.5.7, and Symantec Internet Security 2007. None of those were the problem; I also have AVG anti-spy 7.5, no problem. Only after I unchecked resident and teatimer, and restarted was I able to quite easily change the IE7 homepage. Previously I had unchecked the "lock" boxes in IE Tweaks, which is what FAQ #204 in Spybot says to do. I seem to recall something in one of the posts I read on the Spybot forum yesterday which mentioned unchecking resident, and then making IE changes, but that did not work, until I restarted with resident unchecked. All is clear!