Thread: Attempted Registery Change

Security Expert-Emeritus

If it was this one, no not malware
    http://castlecops.com/clsid-943.html
    BHO/CLSID/Toolbar: Deep Dive
    GUID: {EFA24E62-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
    Filename: IE History Band

Lightbulb Two quick observations I made after reading these threads

I noticed after installing SpyBot S&D ver 1.4 and TeaTimer that if I went into my Windows Explorer ("window key" + E on this Win2000 pc) and then hit F3 to search for a file, I would get the warning message about a User-specific browser toolbar value being added. If I denied the change, this would happen each time I would redo a similar search. If I allowed the change, the error message would not appear again until I tried changing the physical size of the search window. If I allowed THAT change, the warning messages would pretty much disappear unless I later tried changing the Explorer Bar view (View, Explorer Bar, then change to History and then back to Folders).
    The key value in question is as follows:
    {EFA24E64-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
    And when I did the window-size change, it was:
    {C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}

I'm just bringing this to your attention after reading this post in case it might shed more light on this issue. (Maybe Frank C was doing a windows file search or something in the midst of his web browsing?) Do you think SpyBot needs any "tweaking" before the next release to ignore this particular registry item? (Yet if it stays as it is, that's fine, too -- I just have to remember to "allow" my own initiated local file searches so warnings don't keep popping up. But having more warnings as opposed to too few warnings is better. )

Also, before the next SpyBot release:
    2. Do you know how you can hit the "window key" (to the left of the Alt key that is to the left of the spacebar) on your keyboard to bring up the Start button list and then hit the "P" key to display the installed programs and then hit the first letter of the application you want to start? Even though "Spybot - Search & Destroy" is listed, I can't "get" to it with the "S" key -- I have to use the mouse or the up or down arrow keys. Weird, huh? (This is the case in Win2k and WinXP -- WinNT seems unaffected.) Please advise if this can be remedied in the next release. I believe the ampersand (&) in the name of a folder or shortcut in the (All Users) Programs folder somehow directs Win2k and WinXP to use the very next character following the ampersand as the keyboard key to be searched on, and since there is a space after the ampersand in this case (and the spacebar doesn't work in selecting an item), typing "S" doesn't go to that program. Quick fix: Change the folder name the program creates for itself as it sets itself up to use the word "and" instead of the "&" character!

Otherwise, it's a GREAT program! Nice work!

Thanks, and have a great day!