Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer is very slow

I tried it both ways. Nothing seemed to happen. It took the command, but Task Manager did not show any new process or application. Do all other users need to be logged off and all other windows closed?

Emeritus

It would seamed that way.

Now check for windows updates.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate
    MS-MVP Windows Security 2006,2007,2008 & 2009
    ASAP member since 2004

Now this is going to sound crazy, but my IE gets stuck, going to the site. If try using Firefox, it tells me to use their Download Center.

Using IE I can go to microsoft.com and then navigate from there without any problem to any place. But as soon as I click on the link to take me to update.microsoft.com it becomes super slow. Every click takes over 10 minutes to get to the next screen. I went thru a few screens, but it seems to be in a loop. After a couple of screens, it tells me that the files required for update are no longer on my computer and need to be downloaded and registered. I click yes to that, it quickly downloads and registers something (or so it tells me) and after 10 minutes it takes me back to the screen I started with (where I click Start Now).

Assuming I can do this with Firefox, which update you want me to download and install?

Emeritus

Try this

Open IE click tools select windows update,

You will be missing a lot of updates.
    ASAP member since 2004

I am trying that. It is trying to take me to windowsupdate.microsoft.com but is again super slow. Before this happened, my computer was set for Automatic updates, so I don't know why I should be missing a lot of updates.

Emeritus

Can you try to remove the older version of java.

Let me know if you were able to remove the programs now.
    ASAP member since 2004

I will try, but my Control Panel has also not come up in last 10 minutes. Is there any other way (other than going thru control panel/add remove programs) to uninstall it?

But with my Windows Installer problem (as I said in post#5) and I am not sure it is going to work.

Emeritus

Try booting in safe mode with networking.

Log on to the admin account.
    ASAP member since 2004

I will try that in the evening, but I don't think Windows Installer works in the safe mode, since the error I get says "Windows Installer services could not be accessed. You are running either in Safe mode or the Installer is not properly installed". Not the exact words, but that is the gist.

I will try it anyway, and let u know.

Can I try to uninstall it using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility provided by MS?