View Poll Results: Will you install a tracking software in your laptop for security purposes?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

0 0%
  • No.

5 83.33%
  • Maybe.

1 16.67%

Thread: Laptop tracking software

Default Laptop tracking software

Are there any recommendations for good laptop tracking softwares that are available for free?? There's an article in the PC Magazine saying that "laptop users should install tracking softwares in their laptops for security purposes".

I don't know about laptop tracking software, but I wouldn't use it anyway because someone can know where I am and it can take my address if i'm at home.

Hmm... The article says that you can "locate your laptop's location remotely". Which means you can track it from almost anywhere with internet access.

Esteemed Member

And then what? Though you may have an IP Address there's really nothing you can do with that, only the police can use that information to contact your ISP and get an actual address. Then they must attempt to use that information with the courts to get a warrant which allows them to make a physical search. This level of action by law enforcement is only likely if either your PC is extremely valuable, you have great clout in your community or the lost laptop contained the personal information of many people from a business or government agency.

Just like with malware, the best idea is to protect your laptop itself. Don't leave it unattended in public areas or visible in your car, instead store it in the trunk before reaching your destination. If it's stolen from your home you likely have bigger problems. Most thefts occur because of foolish decisions made by the owner, so simply avoid the common mistakes of assuming that no one will take something from a place you assume is 'safe'. There is no such place.

Bitman

Well, you can get more than just an IP address with a bit of luck... software that would be monitoring which WiFi networks are near for example can be matched vs. a wifi positioning system (the iPhone being a popular example for those, but more "open" systems like Navizon have that data as well).

Still that would give you only a rough area of some hundred feet accuracy maybe, and only if it has been wifi-mapped before, so unless its a suburban area with space between houses, it won't do you any good either, because knowing its in a block with a few dozen flats won't help you, unless you plan to call a few buddies and storm some dozen innocients flats.

I should probably add that a"good" thief anyway would wipe the HD first before going online, but 've heard enough stories of silly ones as well

So, in the end... what bitman said... getting law enforcement to help you would be an impossible mission probably. Maybe the tracking software brings along a nice sticker "this laptop is protected", that would probably the best protection of the package
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Emeritus

if a half way competent person has physical access to a machine, your done. Tracking software, fingerprint recognition, or otherwise.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

True, because putting "monitoring" software on your labtop would just be like slapping pm a band-aid or a sticker (in my opinion). It won't be very effective unless it is like parental control software at home used by moms.

Sadly officials will not spare their efforts on a common, 'ordinary' PC. Not just on any computer. Unless you work for MIT or something they might glance at it for a mere second.

As a suggestion I would slap on a password on the Windows account (first line of defense) and back up all my data on a weekly (or shorter) basis (that ensures the survival of the documents).
    Quote Originally Posted by chewd
    Which means you can track it from almost anywhere with internet access.
    And if it is half way across the world?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

And if it is half way across the world?
    Not sure. I quoted from the article and they did no further explanation.