Thread: Locks up when repairing

Default Locks up when repairing

I have used S&D in the past but recently I find that after it checks and locates 104 items, the hourglass appears and everything freezes as soon as I press "Remove threats". I can leave it for hours with no results, but as soon as I click anything else it becomes "non responsive" and must be closed. The only other similiar program I have running is a free AVG Virus Free and honestly I see no way to shut it down temporarily w/o removing it completely. I have tried removing and redownloading S&D with the same results. Thanks

You could try rightclicking the results list,select deselect all.Then,checkmark a few at a time,and see if it doesn't freeze when fixing then.
    Slow and tedious,but it might work.

iamslotman,

Every malware removal program that I know of locks up when removing great amounts of malware as it is a very resource intensive process. I would follow Zenobia's advice of only selecting and fixing a few at a time.

104 items seems like a big number of threats! Stay safe.

that worked... thanks.. I guess I need to do this more often.. like exercising...lol

Glad it worked.

Default Even one at a time locks it up

In the past few weeks, when I run SB, it finds about 30 files at the very end of its sequence. When I tried to remove them at once, it locked up. The first few times, I found if I took out the bad files one at a time, it worked OK. However, now, no matter which file I try to remove first, it locks up.

Also, then when I re-start the program, I can find a report about what is found, but I can't find a way to re-enter the removal screen. Is that possible without doing a whole new scan?
    Thanks! - rjw2000

Hello,

If you have closed Spybot it is not possible to get to the removal screen without performing a new scan.

About your problem:
    lease disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode. That should fix it.

It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
    Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the checkbox in front of Cookies.sbi.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot