Thread: Spywarebot itself had two trojans

Default Spywarebot itself had two trojans

My computer slowed to a crawl last night. CPU usage showed 100%. I rebooted several times and each time myAVG virus detector indicated that there was a SpySherifD trojan in an exe file of spywarebot, one in launcher.exe and the other in spywarebot.exe

I quarantined them and removed spywarebot from my system. I had v. 1.5, it was set to do regular updates (which it did) and yet when I went to remove it from the computer it was noted it was only used "occasionally." I don't understand all this. I've subscribed to it since March 22, 2007. What should I do at this point?

I do not download music, I have visited some sites in teh past few days where popup windows appeared, and I just closed them. Could they have been the problem? I find it unreasonable that a spyware program could be infected by such popups, it makes me lose faith in spywarebot.

Hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by felicia View Post
    I find it unreasonable that a spyware program could be infected by such popups, it makes me lose faith in spywarebot.
    You should, spywarebot is a rogue antispyware program and has nothing to do with our application, Spybot-S&D which is free for personal use. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

I am sorry but if you were led to falsely believe spywarebot is Spybot-Search & Destroy, then it appears you have been ripped off.

http://www.benedelman.org/news/021408-1.html

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

felicia:

More information:

As tashi indicated, it is quite possible that you may have been duped into installing a fake look-alike product by the name of "Spywarebot" on your system.

The executables "launcher.exe" and "spywarebot.exe" are not part of "Spybot - Search & Destroy" (or as it may be more popularly known as "Spybot-S&D", SpybotSD or just plain "Spybot").

I hope that you didn't pay for the product "SpywareBot" since "Spybot - Search & Destroy" is free for non corporate users. If you did, I suggest that you seek immediate reimbursement.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.