Thread: TagsRevisited - option to sort MP3's

Question TagsRevisited - option to sort MP3's

Is is possible to add an option to TagsRevisited to have it sort MP3's into definable subfolders (Artist/Album/etc) ?

Chris Karst

The Tag -> Filename function (F6) should already kind of support this, just specify subfolders of the current path (e.g. <A>\<B>\<K> - <T>). Not really other definable subfolders though, would have to think on how this could be implemented without too much configuration required.

I did add a feature request here
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

My problem is that currently the wife has about 16,000 mp3's that are subdivided by artist then album (at least that is how it is supposed to be)
    But due to filename and tag errors, many are filed incorrectly. (unknown album, artist, etc - and also some incorrectly nested folder - Man, I hate iTunes!)

By having all the filenames and tags corrected, i'd like to have it use the new corrected info to have them filed in the correct locations. (of course finding and removing duplicates would help a lot as well.

Is there perhaps a tool you already use for this kind of problem?

Chris Karst

Default definable subfolders

I guess i should be a little clearer on this.

By definable subfolders, i mean that I would like to be able to select which tags are used to determine folder nesting: (and which order used)

Artist/Album/*.mp3
    Artist/*.mp3
    Year/Artist/*mp3
    Performer/*.mp3
    Genre/Tempo/*.mp3

Of couse I could go on for days, but you get the idea. :-)

Chris Karst

Well, that is exactly what I wrote is already possible by the Tag -> Filename function by using backslashes between fields to indicate subfolders
    (except that Performer and Tempo would be ID3v2 fields currently not available in the rename dialog, need to improve that!)

I have to admit though that loading 16,000 songs at once to have the proper base folder looks uncomfortable.

Another option: use the scripting engine, you can already use something like this to move the file wherever you want:
    Code:
    program MoveMyFiles;
    var iSong: integer;
    begin
       for iSong := 0 to Pred(SongCount) do begin
       Files.Items[iSong].Filename := 'C:\MyMusic\' + Files.Items[iSong].TagID3v2.Artist + '\' + Files.Items[iSong].TagID3v2.Album + '\' + Files.Items[iSong].TagID3v2.Title + '.mp3';
    end;
    Whenever you change the filename to something that has a different path, TagsRevisited will move the file, creating the destination folder if it is missing. This is very much the same as the Tags -> Filename function, except that it isn't limited to the base path of the currently loaded files, but you can use any path on your system you want.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)