Thread: Is there any way for me to restore shredded files?

Smile Is there any way for me to restore shredded files?

I accidently shredded some files using the Spybot's file shredder and I was wondering if there was any way for me to restore them?

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks ^_^.

~ freezeframe57

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Not unless you have a backups of the files or they were recently copied from files that were just deleted.

It is hard enough and sometimes not possible to recover files that have just been deleted by using specialized file recovery software. When you use a shredder the actual content of the file is overwritten multiple times making recovery impractical/impossible (which is the purpose of using a shredder).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Oh crud . The files themselves were only cut up 6 times.

Hmm... the only thing that I can really do then is to have a computer person see what he can do then.

Yeah, look into a program called "Handy Recovery"
    They offer a free version of "1.0" it works.

From my tests, file shredder does nothing but mangle the file name, the original file contents appear intanct!!!

The shredder does not only change the filename, but overwrites files multiple times quite as it shows that it would do - but depending on the filesystem, that is not always enough - which is why we even removed it in a previous version, only to get hundreds of complaints to add it back On a journaled file system, previous versions of a file might still exist somewhere on the HD. But whether that is the case or not depends quite a lot on your Windows version and file system.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)