Thread: Why the bad lag?

Default Why the bad lag?

I moved into a new home a few months ago, and ever since then my family and I would on random days experience horrible lag. It use to be just because they all wanted to download like 5 movies at once and blah, but now I'm realising that it's not always the case. My internet has suddenly been lagging awfully all morning and no one's downloading anything and my uncle's the only other one on a computer. (I looked through everyon'es computer)

When I say it's random, I mean it by like one day I'll be doing fine and dandy, and then for the next few days afterwards I could be experiencing horrible lag problems.

I know it's also not because we're sharing the modem, because on most days when I can see everyone on and doing their thing, there's no lag at all.

My whole family is lagging...which is why my uncle and I are the only ones on our computers.

Yesterday my family all pitched in to get me a new computer for my birthday (it's so awesome!!) with an awesome graphics card and everything, but my online game is still lagging as if I were on dialup.

I use Cox HighSpeed internet.

We've had a cox guy come over a few times, but nothing has changed. Once they said it was because we had something on our ram or modem (forgot what) and so they took it out, and then later we called in another cox guy (because obviously that didn't work) and he said that we were lagging because the item was out. So I doubt they know why either.

I've heard of people stealing internet, could that be it?

There was more I wanted to add in there but due to short term memory and because I'm rushing it's all I can remmember to add and I apologise for it not being well organized.

Please help me if you can and thank you for trying. We might call in a cox guy later, but they never seem to have a solution.

There's nothing to do around here and so when I'm done with my homework I practically depend on the internet. =/
    Last edited by bluewolfsushi; 2008-03-15 at 19:52.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

One possibility:

Cable modem services can slow down significantly if many people in your neighborhood access the Internet simultaneously. Cable modem services share bandwidth among subscribers in a locality. The same cable line connects to many households. If many of your neighbors access the Internet simultaneously, it is a distinct possibility that cable speeds for you (and them) will decrease significantly during those times.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    One possibility:

Cable modem services can slow down significantly if many people in your neighborhood access the Internet simultaneously. Cable modem services share bandwidth among subscribers in a locality. The same cable line connects to many households. If many of your neighbors access the Internet simultaneously, it is a distinct possibility that cable speeds for you (and them) will decrease significantly during those times.

Wow I never knew that...is there a solution? Perhaps I should use a different internet source? Thank you for posting.

Red face

I wonder... Well, the term "people stealing internet" may be that if you use wi-fi access, "stealing" internet would be a piece of cake. Anyone can just use your wi-fi connection [and conduct illegal actions or download mass files] if it is not properly secured.

*sigh* My DSL connection is lagging, it has its ups and downs. I use Verizon DSL; the Westell 6100 model.