Thread: I almost collapsed when I saw it

Default I almost collapsed when I saw it

Yesterday I tried the new AVG Antivirus 8.0. It has a neat interface and a new and improved search engine. Before I was using Avast 4.7 Pro (testing as well). I am also running Spybot, and other free software, such as Ad-Aware 2007 Free, Spyware Blaster, others.

Using Avast 4.7 Pro with Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware 2007 Free, Comodo Boclean, AVG Antispyware 7.5 Plus and Spybot S&D nothing was ever detected on the system. Would that mean it was all going ok?

Well I thought so, but sometimes my internet connection would go down and even sometimes it would went slow without any apparent reason.

So, in a seek to see how changed this new version of AVG was, I went to the avg site and downloaded the trial. I installed and updated it (normal thing to do).

Then, I went through a deep scan and it would more than 500 and less than 600 threats on the system. None was virus. All adware, downloaders, trojans, keyloggers, etc.

I got astonished when I realized that Spybot and Ad-Aware 2007 Free and even AVG Antispyware would never detect anything. Not to mention the nasties Avast 4.7 Pro allowed in.

I always consired Spybot a great achievement and thus being soon you will get an e-mail with the names of the threats. Or would you rather get the samples? They are all on quarantine for testing purposes.

I really hope that this leaks on spybot get fixed. It would sad to see an application that I always had in consideration to fall in deep disgrace.

Best regards.

Security Expert: Emeritus

Hi Soultrain

I would be curious to see AVG scan report if you have it.

You can upload it to rapidshare and post back link here
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Shaba View Post
    Hi Soultrain

Me too, I have seen such several remarks/reviews on the net such as:
    Flags some legitimate programs as potentially harmful.
    its full-system scans sometimes tax system resources and produce false positives.
    Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

As I mentioned in the thread I opened I will be making tests to such threats that AVG Antivirus 8.0 detected, hence not deleted from the system. Also that was why I said that I would hate to see spybot falling in deep disgrace, thus didn't say it already fell.
    About AVG 8.0 tax your system? That is totally wrong. Before making such statement I would advice you first to try it out and test it your self on a virtual machine. Even in a virtual machine it runs very smoothly.
    About the false positives I would like to see where you have seen such results. I have been googling for it and still haven't found info on that. I hope you can give those links and take a look at the info.

As soon as I end the tests to the threats samples I will be more than pleased to give info on them, for as I said before, I always considered spybot a great tool and if in fact these are real threats, then it would be great to see spybot being able to detect and destroy them. Otherwise if found out to be false positives then there is nothing to worry about spybot's lack of security.

Best regards

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Soultrain View Post
    Before making such statement
    I didn't, I quoted.

Here is one source: http://review.zdnet.com/internet-sec...-32879003.html
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Soultrain:

I would like to reiterate what Shaba and tashi have requested:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Me too, …
    I too would like to see the AVG Antivirus 8.0 scan report. That way we all can learn exactly what AVG Antivirus 8.0 is detecting and if there is a problem with Spybot's detections or if AVG Antivirus 8.0 is misinterpreting some things it is finding on you system.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Alright.

I finished the first round of tests to the possible threats that AVG 8.0 antivirus detected and it were not >500<600 but lesser and a few with the same name. In total 567 threats (names repeating but in different paths).

After making a new test on the same system, meaning nothing added nothing taken, I found out that they were all false positives, except for 2 threats (the same one but in different files) named trojan.downloader.zlob.bz.

I also found out that the possible threats AVG 8.0 antivirus detected were in fact nothing less nothing more than the threat samples that Spybot and Spyware Blaster use to prevent systems to get infected by taking preventive measures inside IE browser.

This is something that it needs to be worked out by AVG Labs. This is the only sidedown that I have found in my test to this antivirus. Hopefully it will be fixed in a not so distant future, for their sake at least.

Thus, there is nothing to worry about Spybot for it did not let anything pass to the system, at least the threats it is supposed to protect the systems for.
    So keep the great work you have done so far.

I will keep doing more tests to security software and I found out that spybot has some leak I'll let you know, so that it can be worked out.

Best regards.