Thread: virus protection racket

Default virus protection racket

How do all the virus protection companies, (except spybot) get away with infecting your computer with viruses. Then try to sell you a program to get rid of them. First they give you a virus, then they force your computer to visit there sites to purchase there virus removal programs. They scan for free they find the virus (they put there). Yet they wont remove it without a payment. How in the do they get away with that. So thank you spybot for not being one of those companies.

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by BulbusMaximus View Post
    How do all the virus protection companies, (except spybot) get away with infecting your computer with viruses. Then try to sell you a program to get rid of them.
    I don't follow the logic, rogue programs do that, not legitimate companies.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

sorry i type as my mind rolls sometimes i guess i ramble. I have had experience where, i was invaded by a virus and led to a "legitimate" mccafee and norton sites. when i first got my computer back on the internet. and hadnt heard of spybot yet, i have been figuring out ways to combat them without any software help ever since. my computer is now completely virus free with just my own diligence and spybot, so trust me I know what im talking about when i say that legitimate companies do it to wether its an independent contract saleperson or not. It is still being done in there name. But my question was how do they get away with it "Rogue" or not i wasnt by any means saying spybot was anything like those other companies, spy bot is the exception thats what im saying.. spybot rulz
    Last edited by BulbusMaximus; 2008-03-18 at 08:32.

Hi there,

Regarding this and question via PM, Spybot-Search & Destroy is not designed to find/remove viruses or worms.
    It is designed for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.

Therefore one needs an anti virus program to protect against viruses.

Anti Virus Programs

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hi there,

Regarding this and question via PM, Spybot-Search & Destroy is not designed to find/remove viruses or worms.
    It is designed for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.

Therefore one needs an anti virus program to protect against viruses.

Anti Virus Programs

Cheers.
    well ok you got me there, i consider spyware and adware and malware viruses, i apoligize if my definition is primitive, most of my experience is self taught, but anyway i hope you understand that i am very happy with spybot, i just cant believe my mccafee didnt find any spy ware, is that normal, anyway i just want to learn so thank you for your facts, keep them coming, i want to learn all i can, thank you

A thirst for knowledge is wonderful.

I know I learn daily from all questions and answers.

As someone who paid $29.00 for Adware [Alert] not realizing the "A" as in AdAware made all the difference, I think it can be pretty easy to dupe people at times by riding the coattails of a popular product with a similar sounding but vastly inferior product.

And thanks to Adware I ended up with Virtumonde... which brought me to a forum of well informed computer advisors who sent me right to SpyBot and Ad Aware.

I feel pretty confident saying this since the slick site they set up for Adware Alert is now MIA...along with my 29 bucks.

Hi there,

Always more villains.

It has been awhile since this list was last updated, but it gives one an idea of the extent of the problem. Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites