Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor glitch with Spybot after uninstalling Opera web browser

Default Minor glitch with Spybot after uninstalling Opera web browser

My PC is running Windows XP Home SP2, DSL connection. I'm using Spybot 1.5.2, fully updated. Just recently, I uninstalled the Opera web browser. After doing so, I noticed that Opera was still listed on Spybot's immunization page, along with Firefox and Internet Explorer. I would like to remove Opera from this list, but have been unsuccessful.

After uninstalling Opera, I made sure to clean out any remnants of the browser in Windows Explorer and the registry. I used CCleaner's registry tool, and one from OneCare Live. But that didn't resolve this glitch.

So yesterday I undid all Spybot immunizations, uninstalled Spybot, rebooted my PC, did another cleaning of the registry and Windows Explorer to remove any remnants of Spybot, and installed the program again. Opera is still listed on the immunization page.

Any other suggestions to get rid of this entry? While browsing thru the Windows registry, I tried to find some mention of Opera in the Spybot directories, but didn't see anything.

Unhappy

I have the same problem only mine is with Firefox. I uninstalled it over a year ago and it still shows up in the immunization page
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Is there any news on what is causing this glitch?

Arrow interesting.....

may be a bug in spybot not being able to detect that such a browser as opera has been removed. Therefor, it still shows up in the list...Odd....I have not tried that. I will test on a test machine and see if i can get this bug to resurface. I will get back and let u guys know.

I believe the bug isn't in Spybot. I've checked almost every hidden file and registry entry of Spybot and didn't come up with anything related to a certain browser.

I think when uninstalling Opera or Firefox, some garbage registry entries are left behind that are not detectable.
    I even uninstalled Opera, ran every registry cleaner I could find (CCleaner, glarysoft registry repair, TuneUP utilities etc) and searching for pattern "opera" in the registry editor, would still match some patterns.

Seems to me Spybot checks on those patterns and thinks that the browser is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyTacos
    My PC is running Windows XP Home SP2, DSL connection. I'm using Spybot 1.5.2, fully updated. Just recently, I uninstalled the Opera web browser. After doing so, I noticed that Opera was still listed on Spybot's immunization page, along with Firefox and Internet Explorer. I would like to remove Opera from this list, but have been unsuccessful.
    I had that problem a long time ago.As I recall,I just went to
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes and moved the OperaPlugins.sbs file to another location on my computer(in case I needed it again or anything,for backup.)

Unhappy

Thanks for the xenobia but unfortunatly removing that file has no effect on the Firefox immunisation, all I get is an "Index Out Of Bounds (44)" error when I try to immunise and it goes away again when the file is replaced.

Really?I don't get that error when removing the OperaPlugins.sbs. file.Do you have Opera installed?

OperaPlugins.sbs is related to Opera immunization,and has no effect on Firefox.To get Spybot not to list Firefox on the immunization page,you'll have to go about it differently.Since you've uninstalled Firefox about a year ago,you could probably just delete your whole Mozilla folder,since you probably won't be needing it anymore.Though,if you think you might need it later on,you could just move the Mozilla folder to a different location on your computer,for backup.
    The location of the Mozilla folder depends on your os.
    (I put C,but if your main drive is another letter,like D:\,etc,just substitute that one for C:\)
    Vista:C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\

XP and 2000:C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data

Windows 98 and ME:C:\WINDOWS\Application Data
    Try deleting or moving the Mozilla folder,and see if Firefox immunization is gone from the Spybot immunization page.

I don't and have, had opera installed , though it doesn't mater now anyway as I now have a new Vista Home Premium Computer.

Okay,just wondering.
    Did removing the Mozilla folder work,if you tried that?
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2008-03-29 at 03:25.