Thread: What Are PUPS and is "Registry Cleaner" spyware?

Default What Are PUPS and is "Registry Cleaner" spyware?

Hi, new to here, thanks for having the forum.

I scanned and it came up that my "Registry Cleaner" is some sort of spyware or something. I came here and see it listed under "PUPS" which I can't find in the deffinitions or anything here on the site.

So....what are PUPS (and please don't say young dogs) and is "Registry Cleaner" spyware that I actually paid for like an idiot?

Thanks for any help,
    Rats

Hello,

"Possible UnPopular Software"
    There is some stuff - like Registry Cleaner where the makers state they're not "spyware" and it's quite difficult to prove that they actually do "spy".

We don't even name some "spyware" in the threat description, but as they are located in Spybots.sbi, they complain. So, we thought about how to solve this problem by creating another file, named XYZ, where we move such stuff. That way, they can't complain about being listed as "spyware" based on the fact that they're located in Spybots.sbi, and we can continue to detect them without fearing any consequences (we wouldn't change the threat description itself, of course).

All products belonging to the "PUPS" are not selected to be fixed automatically after the scan is done. This means the user can decide for himself whether he wants them to be deleted or not.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default What is My Registery cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
    Hi, new to here, thanks for having the forum.

I scanned and it came up that my "Registry Cleaner" is some sort of spyware or something. I came here and see it listed under "PUPS" which I can't find in the deffinitions or anything here on the site.

So....what are PUPS (and please don't say young dogs) and is "Registry Cleaner" spyware that I actually paid for like an idiot?

Thanks for any help,
    Rats
    I have no program called my registry cleaner and if i do delete this I always hve a certain problem which I cannot remember so what is it My registery cleaner is it part of a registery cleaner
    Zippy

This is the description for it:
    Description:
    MyRegistryCleaner is a registry optimizing tool. It scans the registry and detects some empty paths or sections. These cannot be cleaned at once, when the user clicks the "repair all problems"-button, the program states that the user has to purchase the full version. By clicking "repair selected items", the system can be repaired bit by bit.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...egistryCleaner
    If you have problems after removing it,you could post a Spybot logfile and it might show what's going on.
    If you're not sure how to,let me know which version of Spybot you have,so I can give you instructions.