Thread: Conflict with AVG?

Default Conflict with AVG?

I have Spybot 1.5.1.18 on XP2 Pro. Browser is IE7.
    I have recently lost some functionality. Scan still seems to work fine, but all my checked "ignore cookies" now disappear when deleting cookies through IE7. Also, "Registry Change" alerts used to appear every few days - I have seen none now for a few weeks.
    I suspect this is related to a change in my internet security software. I was running AVG Anti-Virus + Firewall, then upgraded at the beginning of this month to AVG Internet Security (now at version 8.0.87).
    Can anyone confirm that there is a conflict, and suggest ways to configure Spybot and/or AVG to fix it? All help appreciated!

Lightbulb

Try upgrading to Spybot 1.5.2 and see if that helps
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Default Ignore cookies still wiped

Thanks for the suggestion, Terminator. Have now upgraded to 1.5.2. But Ignore Cookies are still wiped after Deleting Cookies in IE7.
    Any other suggestions?

When you say "deleting cookies through IE7" do you mean you are using IE 7's in-built Cookie deletion option? If thats the case then setting Spybot to ignore certain cookies will have no effect as the IE 7's deletion option does a blanket wipe of ALL cookies irrespective of Spybots settings.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yes. I have only ever used IE7 Tools - Internet Options- (Browsing History) Delete - Delete Cookies. I was sure that this retained the checked cookies in the past.
    Is there another answer - a Spybot route to delete cookies?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Minimoa:

If I understand you correctly you are:
    1. Going into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Settings » Ignore cookies » and checking cookies that you want to keep.
    2. Then going into Internet Explorer » Tools » Delete Browsing History… » and doing a Delete Cookies…

If that is the case, there is no interface between the two so all cookies would be deleted.

The "Ignore cookies" list works in conjunction with scanning for "Usage Tracks". "Usage Tracks" are not scanned by default, you must elect to scan for them.

If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Settings > File Sets, the last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies and some Logs during a scan.

To ignore selected cookies from purge if you are going to scan for "Usage Tracking" you must first:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore cookies > check any cookies that you want to keep.

Then when you run the scan with "Usage Tracking" checked in "File Sets" and select (check) "Cookie" only cookies not check in "Ignore cookies" should be purged when you "Fix selected problems".

To delete IE Cache (temporary internet files) and cookies (saving some), I personally use the following program because I find it easier to use than deleting cookies with Spybot:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default I use 1.5.2

and AVG
    and it doesn't cause any troubles...
    enjoy!

MD USA - many thanks for the explanation. I must have been imagining that desired cookies were being retained.
    I have downloaded the freeware tool you suggested. This looks ideal.
    When installing the IE Privacy Keeper, I got a Registry Change warning - which confirms that Resident is working OK. That made me think to check my Resident log - which shows a few blacklist-based change denials over recent weeks. So there was never any conflict, just a lack of understanding, and we can close this off.
    Thank you to all respondents.