Thread: SpyBot Hanging at Closure or Fix Confirmation

Kavu2

Default SpyBot Hanging at Closure or Fix Confirmation

XP SP2 IE7, Administrator + 2 Limited user accounts.
    McAfee: VS, FP, SA
    AdAware SE
    SpyBot 1.5.2.20, update detections 3/19/2008, SDHelper & TeaTimer running

Hi. Ok I've been having a problem w/SpyBot. I run a scan and it does complete the scan fully. If there is something to 'Fix' I do so, but it hangs at the Confirmation dialogue(thus the Fix is not completed). If there are no detections then SpyBot hangs at closure. In both cases I have to end the process w/Task Manager.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling as per directions in the SpyBot FAQ, including:
    - uninstalling from Windows Add/Remove
    - running the 'remove-spybotsd-settings.reg' fix
    - Reboot
    - Deletion of SpyBot folder in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy loc.
    - Deletion of SpyBot folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    - Reboot
    - Download and new install of SpyBot SD from the server links here at Spybot.

I've tried restoring to an earlier point and doing all of the above as well. The same problem remains of SpyBot hanging after completion of a scan.

I've tried turning TeaTimer off when scanning. Browser is closed and no other programs besides McAfee are running.

I tried running Windows Disk Cleanup function to clean Temp files. Also cleared(very first thing I tried) cache of Internet Temp files/History/Cookies.

There were no alerts on any infections of virus/spyware/trojans etc prior to this problem starting.

I believe the problem started after I used CCleaner to clean the Index.dat file. I cannot restore to prior the CCleaner usage. I've also had an occasional side issue(probably b/c of the CC action) w/one of the Limited User accounts not finding it's Profile settings(TeaTimer had been asking to allow Default User Settings when switching Users). That seems to get fixed when rebooting. But the SpyBot fix has escaped me. Is it something in the Registry? I did use the 'SpyBot Reg fix' before reinstalling SpyBot to try to get a clean install.

Can someone please help me to get SpyBot to function properly? Forgive my stupidity w/CCleaner.

Thank you in advance for any help sent my way.

Kavu2

Me too dude. I experience it mostly.

Default Hangs during fix confirmation

Am experiencing the same problem! Have to rescan all files again. Is there a way before you start the fix to set something so on restart it reads the previous results file if one is available

Thanks

Kavu2

3/26/08

Hanging problem continues here...

XP SP2 IE7, Administrator + 2 Limited user accounts.
    McAfee: VS, FP, SA
    AdAware SE
    SpyBot 1.5.2.20, update detections 3/26/2008, SDHelper running

Update on efforts to solve problem...

I have re-established new User Profiles which has solved the winlogon username issue(XP had pulled up temp user profiles when switching user profiles). That seemed to be corrupted User profiles caused by my permitting Teatimer to change default usernames per Teatimer popups. Anyway that issue is resolved.

The SpyBot hanging at completion of scan still remains.
    - I uninstalled Spybot, ran the SB remove reg fix file, removed the SpyBot folders in Programs & also in All Users\App Data
    - Shutdown
    - fresh install of SpyBot from mirror links at SpyBot.

To again restate the problem...

SpyBot will sucessfully run thru the complete scan and if items are found, show them needing to be fixed. When selected to fix(Confirmation dialogue: Yes/No), SpyBot freezes(Ctl+Alt+Del needed to exit). If no items are found then SpyBot freezes on exit(Ctrl+Alt+Del needed to exit)

I did try to run a scan in Safe Mode and it again sucessfully completed the scan and found some cookies(as before...only cookies, no malware)...In Safe Mode I got past the Confirmation Yes/No box but SpyBot then froze...no items were fixed and Ctrl+Alt+Del needed to exit.

In this last Safe Mode scan, Teatimer was not running and McAfee was not enabled.

Any suggestions/fixes from the SpyBot team? (note: this thread had slipped to page 3 and got buried/overlooked)

Thank you in advance., Kavu2

Kavu2

Doing some more troubleshooting on my own here I have narrowed down my problem. Thinking that something recent was the cause I disabled(renamed) the 'Plugins' file in SpyBot and re-scanned. Voila, the scan completes and SpyBot is able to be closed.

My SpyBot Plugins folder contains:
    Chai.dll
    Mate.dll
    Fennel.dll
    TCPIPaddress.dll

The last one(TCPIP.dll) seemed like it might be connected to my earlier issues w/Teatimer and my allowing changes to winlogon Default Username issues(requiring re-establishment of all new User Profiles)

So I tested by restoring re-named Plugins file to 'Plugins' and re-named just TCPIPaddress.dll('rename-TCPIPaddress.dll')....and re-scanned. Again successful scan and SpyBot program closure.

So since this TCPIPaddress.dll plugin is an older one(from '07?) and my SpyBot had been working correctly previously, the issue might be in either that plugin or my TCPIP settings???? The TCPIPaddress.dll plugin file contains 121344 bytes which jives w/online search comparisons...so no clue there, it doesn't *seem* corrupt. And I have uninstalled and re-installed SpyBot several times so it should be good, right?

Note that other than SpyBot the computer is working just fine w/o any other problems. I have only one computer in network & it's hooked up to DSL and those connections all seem fine in common usage.

>SpyBot team
    Any ideas on what to check or how to fix the TCPIP settings or should I just leave the TCPIPaddress.dll plugin disabled....and is that a security gap that needs to be addressed?

Again thanks for any help provided.
    Kavu2

Hey just for the record. I was having the same problem and spybotsandra's solution about unchecking the confirmation box in advanced mode fixed it. See it here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5299

Kavu2

Thanks for the feedback Dano.

I have since solved the problem by re-installing and updating without d/l or installing the 3 new rootkit plugins.

Without those plugins installed everything is back to normal with a successful Fix and Confirmation and Closure process.

So it would seem there might be a conflict between those Plugins and some other s/w on my computer. If I had to just guess, I'd pin it on McAfee first. But at least I have SpyBot back to a useful functioning again.

But thanks for your tip...if the present stability evaporates, I try your tip.

Kavu2