Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot error message

Default Spybot error message

I recently had to send my PC to the shop for removal of a virus infection.
    I was frankly surprised because I am fanatical about keeping virus defs updated (NAV) and in addition to a daily virus scan, I have installed and routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D v 1.4, SpywareBlaster and M$ Antispyware.

Today, when I attempted to run Spybot, I got this error message:
    ERROR (on the blue top bar)
    This application has changed since it was created.
    Since Spybot-S&D does not change itself, we recommend you check your system for malware and viruses instantly!

Needless to say I was alarmed, but also surprised, given my vigilance and also the fact that (even though vigilant) my infected machine had just been disinfected by a professional.

I immediately ran a virus scan, Ad-Aware, Spybot, M$ Antispyware and 2 on-line scans (Panda & Kaspersky) and they all turned up nothing.
    Has anyone seen this message and is it real or some sort of bug?
    I'd welcome any advice and recommendations.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I don’t have a resolution but I thought that I would let you know that there is another report of a similar problem in the following thread:
    This application has been changed since it was created
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=258

If you don’t get an answer here, keep your eye on that thread or feel free to join the discussion there.

Good luck.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default That is scarry . . .

"Dave_m,"

With what you have done and the protection you have that should not have occurred from my point of view. The only item I can see you may like to install is RegProt (Registry Protector) from www.diamondcs.com.au. I have used NAV and found it to be a resource HOG and some what behind in their updates or not really up-to-date. I have used TrendMicro PC-Cillin and found that one to be about the same, their updates are behind others. Have used several other AV scanners and have stopped changing since going with AntiVir Personal Edition FREE v6.32.xx.xx/w daily and sometimes more often updates. Just finished ßeta testing with them on a suggestion I sent in that they only update the new discoveries instead of sending a full VDF each time, which they did and now have reduced their need for band-width. Their downloads for updates are much shorter, on a dialup of 56k is about 2 min where for the full VDF file was 18-22 min.

Excuse me for being so long winded, did not intend doing that,
    LoneLurker"LoneWanderer""Adults are obsolete children. Dr. Seuss
    Win7 Pro SP1 x64;FireFox V. current: SBS&D V. current; WinPatrol, WinPrivacy, WinAntiRansom

I have recently had this message but i think it's down to the "lock hosts file" option.
    I recently ditched Agnitum Outpost pro, not that i wanted to but their re-newal feature is rubbish and the support is not much better, so much for paying for a firewall.

I now am using ZoneAlarm free, which also has the lock hostfile option, i used this and the next time i opened Spybot i got the message. I cleared it in ZoneAlarm and now i don't get the message.

So it is probably a conflict with another anti-spy or firewall application that is causing it.

One other thing.........The link on the program from help "Home page" does not go to

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

instead it loads...........http://www.spybot.info/

is this ok?

I'm using Ver.No:1.4

Yes, that is OK. It is also one of our domains.

rene

I just had this error message happen again, so I thought I would give this link a "bump" to see if anyone else has experienced this problem.
    Once again, I continue to be vigilant WRT virus and spyware protection, but I occasionally get this 'SPYBOT HAS CHANGED......" message and frankly it's disconcerting.
    Anyone out there experience this or know anything about it?

I have the same "This application has changed since it was created" error message. I have tried everything I know to fix it. I also am having intermittant problems with ad-aware "performing an illegal function and will shut down". I have tried many other spyware and virus scans and they are all clean. But my system is running slow with windows XP sp2 and I feel like something is preventing Spybot from installing correctly.

Another recent run of Spybot S&D gave me the message:

"runtime error 216 at ...." followed by a bunch of numbers.

Also, in another instance I clicked on one of the Spybot options and got this error message:

"Access violation at address 0065EAB2A in module 'SpybotSE.exe'. Read of address 000000000"

Hopefully someone can help.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael311
    Also, in another instance I clicked on one of the Spybot options and got this error message:

"Access violation at address 0065EAB2A in module 'SpybotSE.exe'. Read of address 000000000"
    I've received a similar message to this:

"Access violation at address 00653918 in module 'Spybot.exe' Read of address 4B482C31"

This was after I updated my definitions today and completed a scan, but instead of 'no immediate threats found' there was this. I couldn't close the program, either. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Running Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4, by the way.

~CD
    Last edited by Cyan Ducard; 2005-12-17 at 22:08. Reason: More info

I am not sure what the problem could be so will bring this topic to teams attention; with the holiday season upon us we may have a delayed response.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016