Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Games Websites: Info. sent from other people

Default Official Games Websites: Info. sent from other people

If there was a file from an official game website, but it was sent there by another person, would anyone here trust that file?

Does it have the risk of being able to contain a virus or spyware?

Will Spybot S&D pick it up?

An HJT log may be the best choice, but I want to make sure here first, because on the other one when it was clean, steam was...steaming up.

Is it also normal for Microsoft Word (the 2nd latest one) to have no "open" "new document" under the file menu...cause last time I checked, that's not really normal even though it is in the other bars.

Talking

Last time I checked, Office 2007 does not have a toolbar like the previous versions. I'm stuck with Microsoft Works 7. :P Bummer. Oh yikes. Steam is also known as a P2P software. Last time I checked, I attempted to download the extremely large game called Lost Planet:Extreme Condition. Well, my Windows XP did not crash, but I doubted there weren't any viruses or crapware that came along with the game. I quit downloading it. Geez, it was a 600MB file. It wasn't even worth it. In addition, no matter how trustworthy the file is coming from, from a family member or a official site, there's no guarantee that the file is spyware free. I have tried several spyware removers and none of found any spyware. Yet, there's no guarantee either that all spyware removers will detect the virus. And hey, there might be a virus variant on that file which AV's haven't been updated yet on. Funkmeister99, you know my point. As long, you browse the web...:
    a) Use Mozilla Firefox
    b) Use a Anti-virus program (AVG, Anti-vir, Avast!, NOD32)
    c) Use a Firewall (Comodo, Zonealarm)
    d) Have all Windows system patches. I think SP3 for Windows XP is coming soon.
    f) Run a virus/spyware scan at least every 2 weeks. Have two of spyware removers just in case one misses what the other caught.
    G)And to Spybot Team: Who can't surf the web without Spybot- SD .

Well, funkmeister99 thats about it. Scan the file you receive before opening it. It's just a security measure. Good surfing.

Cool

If you WERE to be concerned about your computer, you would not be surfing so "dangerously"!

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
    *sigh* And please do not be paranoid about spyware.

Sorry, it's just that spyware/virus can be scary. My mother's computer is already screwed.

What's the difference between an anti-virus program and a firewall? My firewall removes viruses too.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funkmeister99 View Post
    What's the difference between an anti-virus program and a firewall?
    Antivirus software vs. Personal firewall

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs down

Indeed viruses and spyware are scary. It's a nightmare. My aunt's PC was plagued with SmitFraud and countless others. It took time to remove it, but it was enjoyable and I learned something from it. *sigh* Funkmeister99, I understand your concern that your mother's PC is screwed up. If you learn how to protect your PC and run malware scans your PC should be fine. Honestly, I really don't think a firewall can remove viruses, and assuming you have Trend Micro IS (from your previous posts) you have anti-virus and malware correct. You should not two AVs and/ or firewalls at the same time as it will cause conflicts. I use my Windows XP Home for schoolwork and plain web browsing nothing more. Just note:
    >Beware for rogue software.
    >Exercise caution when using P2Ps. My PC messed up because of STEAM.
    >Firewalls do not remove viruses, they are primary programmed to filter internet traffic, which includes inbound and outbound. Unless it is ZoneAlarm Pro, which removes viruses and malware.
    >AV! AVG, Avast!, Anti-vir, NOD32 AV, etc.

See my point?

Angry

And please... I would not recommend playing games online with advertisement banners. Yes, baseball may be fun, but you should play it from the official site, not any alternative or mirrors. I am not saying you should not. Just that, in the best of your abilities, avoid those sites such as Zango. They may have attractive videos and games. But its SECURITY VS. Browsing pleasure (maybe a bad way to phrase it ). Remember security and caution first. I had many friends who's PC had been infected without their knowledge. More like clicking on random links, chatting on AIM 24/7, MySpace, Facebook, Youtube, Xanga, etc. You get my point.

Lightbulb

Besides (apologies for the many posts), Funkmesiter99, you are a lot smarter using Spybot SD now. Spybot SD may detect cookies on your browser, but it may be just time consuming to run a 20 min scan and then delete it. You may delete it manually in the browser. How to delete the cache and cookies... depends on your browser. Personally, I use Mozilla Firefox 2.

I was talking about STeam, the person that is a malware remover person on these forums.

Thank you.