Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: trojan.win32.dialer.hc

Default More Info

Hopefully I cut and pasted the report properly. Unfortunately the posts must be 10000 characters long but the report was much longer.

Here is some new information. The AOLspyware now generates blockages of the Trojan more often, not just after I boot up the PC. It seems to be trying more persistantly to change my settings. Also now when I go online (with AOL) I get a message from AOL saying the form I requested is not available. This has happened the last three times I have went online. I get the message as soon as I connect properly. (I am not to my knowledge requesting any forms from AOL)

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi Arctic Wolf
    Your logs looks fine
    The full message in the alert only lasts for a little while but basically says that aolservicehost.exe tried to reset the securities settings to allow for SGrunt.biz to be placed in my safe zone.

Again about 12 seconds after the spysweeper alert I get the Trojan alert from AOLspyware warning me that the trojan.win32.dialer.hc has been blocked.
    Its best to only have one resident type antispyware program running,
    same goes for antivirus program shields.
    I suggest turning off aols protections and relying on Spysweeper or SpyBots resident > tea timer.

Resident programs often get confused about what other security programs are adding to the restricted zones and often think its being added to trusted instead, common problem.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by LonnyRJones
    Hi Arctic Wolf
    Your logs looks fine

Its best to only have one resident type antispyware program running,
    same goes for antivirus program shields.
    I suggest turning off aols protections and relying on Spysweeper or SpyBots resident > tea timer.

Resident programs often get confused about what other security programs are adding to the restricted zones and often think its being added to trusted instead, common problem.

Regards

I will reluctantly turn off AOLspyware (After I figure out how to do that) but I must admit that I have had very good luck with it. AOL updates their spyware almost daily and I have been impressed with it. But since I am requesting your help it seems obvious to me to trust your expertise and leave SPYSWEEPER as the resident program.

I strongly believe that something malicious is in my system for two reasons.

1) While I am online I experience problems with the rightclick feature of my mouse. I download lots of photographs from various astronomical sights (Hubble Telescope shots are the best) however after about 50 rightclicks on about 50 different photos I experience a freezing up of my system usually followed by a message saying I am out of memmory. I changed from serial to usb mouse to usb opticl mouse with no change in this behaviour. Something is eating away at my memmory when I rightckick my mouse. (This problem has plaugued me since I bought this system a few months ago and I suspect it to be some sort of malware I picked up on the initial install.

2) More recently I have experienced a ton of problems with windows explorer crashing when I try to rightclick a file.

As a test I went into safe mode and while in safe mode the windows explorer problem goes away so I deduce that something that loads in the initial start up is to blame rather than a currupt windows explorer.

Don't know if that helps or not but I shall figure out how to disable AOLspyware and report back.

Default The Plot Thickens......and Sickens

Hi Guys

BAd News and maybe Good News:

First the Bad News:

I disabled AOLspyware and ran into some very unexpected prolems. First off I didn't want to eliminate AOLspyware just shut off the resident scanning. So I did and then restarted my computer. To be sure I did it right I opened AOLspyware and indeed it said it was turned off. I wanted to check if I could still run manual scans so I did. Wham! SPYSWEEPER goes crazy and gives me that message I have come to hate. Ok... Spysweeper thinks AOLspyware is a problem and we do have a cross connectivity problem between the scanners. I turn off the ALO scan. Wham! I get an AOl notification about that nasty Trojan Win32.Dialer.hc. Now this is odd. AOLspyware was doing a manual scan (which I turned off) but the notification comes from the resident scanner which should also be off. Hmmm! Then I investigate by trying to load SPYBOT. Spybot won't load???
    I Try Lavasoft Adaware. It wont Load???? I try Quake II. (This may seem crazy but I'm trying to determine whether anything will load.) Quake II loads fine. I kill thie final boss again and shut off Quake II.

Okay maybe something is screwed up that has nothing to do with what I just did so I try to shut down the computer. It will not shut down. The menu appears but my cursor does the timeout thing for a sec and then the screen goes back to Windows XP. Now I am a little panicked as i suspect that by turning off AOLspyware I turned off the only program that actually said it blocked the trojan and maybe I have unwittingly unleashed all manner of horrors upon my machine so I do a forced shutdown. After 30 seconds I start up again. Now I decide that I should perhaps test if my anti-spyware programs work. I turn on AOLspyware. Nope doesn't work. SPYBOT....Nope. Lavasoft....Uh Uh. Quake II.....still okay. Okay I'm really in trouble right? Maybe not. I force a shutdown again and restart. Using Macafee Cleansweep I uninstall AOLspyware completely. Shut down and restart.

Now Spybot works. Lavasoft Works and QuakeII works. Okay Quake II always worked but just to be consistant I tried it anyway. Now for the really startling news......................................

AOLSPYWARE is still resident on my computor!!??

In my Icontray at the bottom of my screen the AOL icon still lists AOL spyware and when I click it voila up pops the AOLspyware screen. Now my suspicions are starting to zero in upon an apparent truth. I HAVE HAD TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF AOL SPYWARE ON MY SYSTEM. I stress the term DIFFERENT!?

I suspect that when AOL upgraded their spyware from the beta version to the regular version the beta version did not get unistalled properly. I should have seen this long ago as the two menus are different. The update file is outdated. I remember now thinking it odd that I got a different menu if I launched the program from the icontray than when I launched it from the start menu. I also remeber that my laptop has the same oddity and so does my business computor. All of my systems with AOLspyware have the two versions running simutaneously!

So now the Maybe Good news:

The Trojan Dialer does indeed appear to be a crossconnected foul up causing a false positive on both antispyware systems. But this is only a maybe good news because now I don't know what is causing my problems with my windows exporer, and the rightclick of my mouse. Oh Yeah and also why do I now get a "The form you requested is not available" message from AOl whenever I start it up???

If you have any suggested answers here let me know.

Default One more thing

How do I get rid of AOL spyware beta?? It doesn't show up in any menu and does not appear to have an uninstall feature. (I did let it run a scan and it claims I have COOLWWWSEARCH on my system again. Spybot and Adaware say that its not there)

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hang tight and someone familur with Aol and its program's will chip in hopefully

Default re deleting aol spyware

i just installed spybot myself and right away i got the trojan win 32 dialer notice from aol spyware also. i thought about and decided i didnt need multible spywares, i had run into a problem with that before. i am going to try out the spybot it seems alot more advanced than aol's. so to remove or uninstall it try going to add remove programs and than click remove aol uninstaller and it will give you the option to remove the aol spyware. you can try that and see if it works

I actually had a similar problem.

AOL Spyware Protection blocked the Trojan.Win32.Dailer.hc

and I've actually ran Housecall(trend micro) and It didn't find anything.And the problem with AOL Spyware Protection is it doesn't give you an exact location of the virus or whatever that is on your computer supposely.

I definitely want to avoid formating my computer at all costs. because I just formated my computer in the beginning of this month(November) and it was a pain in the arse to do and I had to be instructed on how install my drivers right.I had go through Dell Help Desk because I didn't install my drivers right and the Monitor wouldn't work right so I had to cough up 100 dollars for them help me since Dell help Desk isn't under the warrenty type thing. It was a major pain in the ass to do.

I even googled this virus or whatever it is and that's how I found out about this forum. I do have Spybot.

So...is there a way of removing this? (I've been reading through this post.)

Are we sure this isn't a False-Positive?
    Last edited by Abbey; 2005-11-26 at 20:37.

Security Expert-Emeritus

"Are we sure this isn't a False-Positive?"
    Hi, Welcome to the forum

I believe it is a false possitive, Aol uses parts of pest patrols program,
    it is well known for false possitives.

Quote Originally Posted by LonnyRJones
    "Are we sure this isn't a False-Positive?"
    Hi, Welcome to the forum

I believe it is a false possitive, Aol uses parts of pest patrols program,
    it is well known for false possitives.

Hey thanks for welcoming me.

Yeah I didn't want o panick over a a trojan if it was actually a false-positive.

Last time I panicked over a false-Positive I well like I said above... I formated my computer than messed up monitor by not installing my drivers correctly and ... than I had to like pay Dell Help Desk 100 dollars for their help.:/