Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My XP gets frozen when running version 1.5.2

Default My XP gets frozen when running version 1.5.2

Been using version 1.5.1 for about a year, so much happy. Asked to update new version 1.5.2 about few wekks ago, big mistake. After installed, update the latest, now my pc freezing everytime I run it, about 2/3 way. The only thing I can do then is reboot the system by powering off/on. Any advices would be appriciated. Thanks

My OS is XP home. However, it's running fine on my laptop vista.
    Last edited by tn2006; 2008-03-27 at 21:30.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tn2006 View Post
    BAsked to update new version 1.5.2 about few wekks ago, big mistake.
    Tn2006, when you say you were asked to update it, were you downloading it directly from the website or from the programs built-in updater? In addition, you running with any Service Packs on your XP? I have Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 with all updates on my Windows XP Home SP2 and it's running smoothly.

drragostea, I dl the software from download.com. After installed it, I opened and chose update, it showed me whole bunch of sites I could get update from. Update, then problem occurred. Mine runs with XP2.

Lightbulb completaly remove

spybot and reinstall the latest from the home page of spybot s&d. Also, close any running programs and try to run spybot again. You may also be heavily infected, causing your system to lock up. There are virusies and spyware that can detect a security program trying to run and freeze the system so that it cannot be removed. If you keep having problems, restart in safe mode by hitting f8 when windows loads and select safe mode. Run your antiviruis and antispyware scans and remove anything found. Try again.

I agree much with 129260.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    ... You may also be heavily infected, causing your system to lock up. There are virusies and spyware that can detect a security program trying to run and freeze the system so that it cannot be removed. If you keep having problems, restart in safe mode by hitting f8 when windows loads and select safe mode. Run your antiviruis and antispyware scans and remove anything found. Try again.
    Heavily infected, that was what I thought. It was fine before after my nieces came to visit me and played online games. After they left and I got problems

Anyway, This were what I did:
    Scan with AVG, Adware, they both couln't find a thing, then run Spyboot (got frozen, have to reset comp). Repeat many times, the same

I tried your advices. Run comp in safe mode, run they again, happen same when run Spyboot, got frozen.

Down load another free anti-virus Avira, run and it detected 6 virus. Run again make sure comp clean. The tried to run Spy, frezze again. Don't know what to do??

Lightbulb h

Hrm. Tn2006, can you think of any sites that your nieces will visit to attract malware? In addition, have you gotten any pop-ups lately? You said that Anti-vir detected 6 viruses. Did you quarantine them or did you just delete the virus?

No, I don't know which sites these 10 years old kid got into . Darn, I should have said no.

I didn't quarantine them. Deleted them.
    This is really a headache.

Red face

*sigh* I understand your concern. Basically, as a recap... your PC was fine until your nieces came in to use the computer. You said the other AV's did not detect anything, and Spybot-SD wouldn't run/ or just froze. Are you getting any pop-ups? You may also check the "history" of the sites your nieces visited. That may be useful. Best Regards.
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-03-29 at 21:16.

Exclamation heres the thing.......

NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSYANCES ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO USE YOUR ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT.
    If u ever wish to let someone else use your computer in the future, turn on the guest account under user accounts in control panel, and let them use that account. That account is strickley locked down and prevents anyone from installing/modifying anything. I would suggest posting in the malware removal forum, scince u r quite infected. Also, in the future, mention those types of details, especcialy when someone like your necies comes over and then after the computer was messed up.
    It's not your fault, so don't beat yourself up. And dont get mad at the kids, as they probably didn't intentially mess up your computer. (depending on there ages lol)

Here is where you can get assistance in the malware removal forum:

before you post read this:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Here is the link to the malware removal forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Explain everything that u did, like u did here, and provide them a link to this thread if nessary. Explain everything in full detail. best wishes, 129260.