Thread: IE Shortcuts stop working

Default IE Shortcuts stop working

Hi all,
    WinXP Pro SP2.
    I recently upgraded to the newest version of Spybot S&D.
    Shortly after I discovered that any shortcuts using IE no longer work properly.
    In Task Manager>Processes tab, IE is listed with half the memory usage as normal when the browser fails to come up and I have to click the End Process.
    No problems with Firefox at all, just IE.
    I uninstalled Spybot and everything worked fine.
    Reinstalled just the basic program using custom install (thinking a plug-in was the problem) and the same thing happens.
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks,
    T.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Throoper:

What version of Internet Explorer (IE) are you running? If you are running IE6, do you have the Google Toolbar installed?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes. IE6 and Google Toolbar.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Throoper:

There appears to be a conflict between Spybot's latest SDHelper Browser Helper Object (BHO) and Google's toolbar particularly running Internet Explorer 6 (for example see this thread) that prevents Internet Explorer from launching properly.

There also may be conflicts between Spybot's latest SDHelper Browser Helper Object (BHO) and other toolbars or browser add-ons (see this thread) that prevent Internet Explorer from launching properly.
    [list=a][*]If you are using a Google toolbar there are two options overcome the problem (and possibly a third):

1. Uninstall the Google toolbar as Spogg did:

--- or ---

2. Disable Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

--- and possibly ---

3. The third option that seems to resolve the incompatibility, at lease some cases, is to upgrade from IE6 to IE7 which is a possibility for you since you indicated you are running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

That was it.
    I went with option #1. I've had issues with Google Toolbar in the past, so 3 strikes it's out.
    Many, Many Thanks.
    T.