Thread: Installation Spybot S&D 152

Question Installation Spybot S&D 152

I use Firefox 2.0.0.13.
    I've removed S S&D 1.4 and want to install my downloaded 1.52.
    In Setup
    - select additonal tasks / Permanent protection
    there is option use I. Ex. protection (SDHelper)
    I do not know if I should tick as I use Firefox the superior browser.
    Will SDHelper give Firefox "protection"? if so what?
    & Does SDHelper use Memory?

I extensively searched your FAQ & Forums (wasted loads of time) - now my head hurts!

Any help would be much appreciated.
    K

sdhelper was also present in Spybot 1.4.
    No,sdhelper won't "protect" Firefox at all,it's only for Internet Explorer.There's a description of sdhelper here:
    The second level of protection is Spybot's "Resident SD helper", which is also known as "Browser Helper to block bad downloads", "Spybot's-SD Resident" and "Resident IE" (depending on which Spybot S&D panel you may be on or how it is identified in the system tray icon). This is an active protection. It is a BHO (Browser Helper Object) that blocks the download of bad (malicious) files. There are three selectable modes that this can operate in: (1) Block all pages silently (2) Display dialog when blocking (3) Ask for blocking confirmation.

I mostly use Firefox myself,but I did checkmark sdhelper because I use Internet Explorer sometimes,so I figured I might as well enable it.

You can immunize Firefox with Spybot 1.5.2 now,though,which will help to protect Firefox.

It's best to check SD Helper even if you only use IE occasionally, any extra protection in IE is a good thing. You're safer using Firefox though, especially if you've got the NoScript extension and Spybot 1.5.2 of course!