Thread: NIS 2008 and WSC Anti Virus Override.

Default NIS 2008 and WSC Anti Virus Override.

I have just installed NIS 2008 and a Spybot scan now shows "Microsoft Windows Security Centre Anti Virus Override". I have read a number of posts on this subject including MD USA Spybot Fan's comprehensive post of 5th March 2007, however it is not clear to me what this particular entry is telling me. Initially NIS disabled WSC but I have rectified that by checking "Show messages from Windows Security Centre".

Under Resources in WSC all three Alert Settings are checked in Change the way Security Centre alerts me, so why am I getting "Microsoft WSC Anti Virus Override"?

I assume that it would be in order to exclude this item, but I don't understand what it is telling me. Any help please would be appreciated.

Judesman.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Judesman:

Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Virus Protection" (expanding if necessary). I believe that you or Norton has overridden the protections and that you will find a button labeled "Recommendations". If you click on the "Recommendations" button, I believe that you will get a window that indicates something like:

Antivirus software helps protect your computer against viruses and other security threats.

Recommendation

Clear the checkbox below to have Windows monitor the status of your antivirus software.
    This is followed by a checked statement:

I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself. …
    Note: Windows won't monitor your virus protection status and won't send you alerts if it is off or out of date.
    If you uncheck the "I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself. ..." statement the detection should go away and Windows Security Center should monitor the Norton anti-virus.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Many thanks. That seems to have resolved that, and I now have a clear scan. Do you know how to restore the recommendation button in case it is required?

Judesman.

Judesman:

Quote Originally Posted by Judesman View Post
    ... Do you know how to restore the recommendation button in case it is required?
    Yes, assuming you're on a Windows XP system. It would be the same way I checked out the verbiage of what I wrote before posting it.
    • Change the following registry entry from a dword:00000000 to a dword:00000001:

Code:
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
      "AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000000

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Many thanks for that, it is appreciated. I am not a great fan of the registry but it is good to know how to reverse these changes if required.

Judesman.

Judesman:

As a last resort you could let Norton turn all of Windows Security Center back off.

If I turn off WSC in Norton a Spybot scan then shows Microsoft WSC - disabled AND Microsoft WSC Anti Virus override. I think I will resort to your original advice regarding the recommendations option in WSC.

I very rarely touch the registry but yesterday I backed it up and changed the dword. All was well and I feel quite pleased with myself.

Many thanks again. I sometimes wonder what would happen to this Forum without you.

Judesman.