Thread: 1.6.2.x and Win 98

Default 1.6.2.x and Win 98

Can anyone confirm that they have Spybot v1.6.2.x working under Win 98? I can't seem to get it working under Win98 (symptoms below). I first installed it over the previous version. When this didn't work, I uninstalled Spybot completely and did a clean install of 1.6.2.x.

Here are the symptoms.

After I install 1.6.2 the program opens and I can fetch updates.

However, after I fetch updates I can no longer open the program. When I start the program, the initial progress bar opens. The progress meter goes almost to the end. And that's it. If I open Task Manager the Spybot task is "not responding". Also CPU use goes through the roof.

Oh yes. And while all this is happening something (presumably Spybot) is banging away at my HD. I have left Spybot doing this for over an hour before having to kill the task.

This happens on both my Win98 systems.

In addition, I having also have the same UI corruption problem I had under Win 98 with the initial 1.5 releases of Spybot. If I use the Teatimer tray icon to open the Spybot updater everything is fine. I can fetch updates and close the updates Window.

However, if I open the program (I can do this before I fetch updates for the first time after installing 1.6.2.x), fetch the updates, and then try to exit the update window, the update window does not close. Instead, Spybot "freezes" and appears as "not responding" in Task Manager.

Regards
    Charles

Hello,

We are sorry, but this seems to be a little bug in Spybot. It can appear when you minimize your Spybot and then close it by ticking the "x" in the menu bar for closing the program.

You have three choices to solve this problem:

1. Download this fix.

After downloading the zip file, extract the included .reg file and double-click it to add it to the registry.

(Content:REGEDIT4 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD\UI\Forms\formMain] "WindowState"=dword:00000000)

You will find this information also in our forum: http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=45

2. Edit the registry by:
    (a)
    press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
    or
    (b)
    click on "start" , then "run" and enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
    (a+b)
    and then browse to the path:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD\UI\Forms\formMain

and change the value from:
    "WindowState"=dword:00000000 bzw. "WindowState"=dword:00000001
    to:
    "WindowState"=dword:00000000 bzw. "WindowState"=dword:00000000

3. Make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.
    You will find links to several download locations on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesF View Post
    Can anyone confirm that they have Spybot v1.6.2.x working under Win 98?
    Hi CharlesF.

I have installed Spybot 1.6.2.46 on my cousin's emachine computer with a clean Win98se OS and most of Spybot 1.6.2.46 works except for the "Stop Check" button which produces the "Thread error: The parameter is not correct (87)" message and Spybot doesn't stop; had to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to stop Spybot. This specific problem was mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    Hi CharlesF.

I have installed Spybot 1.6.2.46 on my cousin's emachine computer with a clean Win98se OS and most of Spybot 1.6.2.46 works except for the "Stop Check" button which produces the "Thread error: The parameter is not correct (87)" message and Spybot doesn't stop; had to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to stop Spybot. This specific problem was mentioned here.
    Hi!

Yes, mentioned by me I am another win98se user.

So, CharlesF, I always meet with your installation problem.

I use these steps:
    1. In these days, new versions are more complicated and need more resource.
    Unintall previous version.
    2. Install the new version.
    3. During the installation, don't allow any update function, skip it.
    4. After I installed 1.x.x, I open the program and then I start manual update.

"However, if I open the program (I can do this before I fetch updates for the first time after installing 1.6.2.x), fetch the updates, and then try to exit the update window, the update window does not close. Instead, Spybot "freezes" and appears as "not responding" in Task Manager." OR you have to wait at least 1 minute!

With my instruction you can avoid yourself from the upper problem (90%, not always. )