Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alter Ego - an alternate way for safer networking

Windows 7 does not support runas.exe? Oh
    That would mean we would have to create a small wrapper maybe.

What exactly is "MP"? The Internet Explorer title can be changed by user through the registry. Maybe Mozilla does allow this through a custom prefs.js/user.js entry? MozillaZine has only this, which does not help (global change).

Grouping un-impersonated icons in quickstart in a folder? Hmm...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

- MP=MediaPlayer
    - IE 32 - I`ll try once again and will post the result here with edit

Quote Originally Posted by nOInfectIOn View Post
    - MP=MediaPlayer
    - IE 32 - I`ll try once again and will post the result here with edit
    not fast enough to edit

Well - was able to reproduce the IE 32 - Problem
    the notAE_protected IE 32 starts normal
    and that was that

---EDIT:
    Maybe FYI: Iīm using Win7_64
    I donīt know, maybe this has something to do with the problem?
    Last edited by nOInfectIOn; 2009-02-08 at 12:13.

Default AE & Vista Home Premium SP1 . .

How is this AE and Vista working together? I have downloaded the ZIP and plan on installing and doing a little testing, hope it is NOT testy!!

Will check back later after installing AE and FileAlyzer v2.0.0.10, update from v1.5.5. I do like the FileAlyzer to help look over unknown files for validity or usable on my system.

TIA,
    LoneLurker"LoneWanderer""Adults are obsolete children. Dr. Seuss
    Win7 Pro SP1 x64;FireFox V. current: SBS&D V. current; WinPatrol, WinPrivacy, WinAntiRansom

Default AE question . . .

Have installed both AE and FileAlyzer v2.0.0.10, have not had time, yet, to do any testing with FA. Now with AE, ran the exe from within my 7Zip and it setup my Alternate Ego for me. Did the 'Use already setup Account' then had only restricted number of programs to run within this Alternate Ego account including FF v3.0.6 and Pegasus Mail. FF works just fine PMail cannot be found nor the Icons for other programs that I had hoped would be setup. Quick Launch and Desktop Tool Bars are selected in "Task Bar and Start Menu Properties" as menus, NO SHOW for QL, Desktop is there AOK!

Now my install of PMail is NOT STANDARD, had problems getting it to work when installed within Program Files. Created it's own folder @ Root (C:\PegMail) and this may account for no icon or access to that program from this access. Have several other programs that are not installed in Program Files folder. So these may give me problems as well for this Alternator Ego (AE).

Excuse me please, I am always coming up with new names for different programs and yours will not be any sort of an exception, but; will attempt to add brief title within parenthesis.

Thank you for reading my message,
    Win7 Pro SP1 x64;FireFox V. current: SBS&D V. current; WinPatrol, WinPrivacy, WinAntiRansom

Default AE . . very good idea but . . .

This has been a very good idea, just not very good for use with Vista unless you are like me and a very curious animal, maybe a little resourceful.

The "ShortCut" for each of my programs have not been placed in Quick Launch for my AE_Login account nor the "Desktop" for that account. So far I have found them still in my Admin account "QL" (quick launch) and "Public" account QL and Desktop. After doing some investigating also found the Icons for my E-Mail client for the different E-Mail accounts on my system, now have access to them all from my AE_Login account. That is not the name for my login. My E-Mail accounts Icons were in the QL for the folder "User," "Default" not "Default User." So far I have found several folders "Internet (direct)" containing an Icon for FireFox and a "readme" file that tells me, and I quote:

"You have replaced your Internet application shortcuts on your
    desktop, in your start menu and in your quicklaunch area with
    shortcuts that allow you to run them safely through a limited
    user account.
    These shortcuts are copies of the original shortcuts that will
    allow you to run the linked applications without restricting
    them. Use this only for administrative tasks.

This folder and readme file were created by AlterEgo.
    AlterEgo is (c) Copyright 2008 by Safer Networking Ltd.
    All rights reserved."

All of those "Internet (direct)" have that file within, if you need more just ask or if you need more of an explanation.

Thank you for reading my rambling toasty poster,

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLurker View Post
    The "ShortCut" for each of my programs have not been placed in Quick Launch for my AE_Login account nor the "Desktop" for that account. So far I have found them still in my Admin account "QL" (quick launch) and "Public" account QL and Desktop.
    I'm not quite sure if I understand or you misunderstand something

Yes, links should be in the admins quicklaunch area. Nothing new should appear on desktop or quicklaunch or the user account.

The purpose is to use the tools while logged in as admin, with the tools only running as user. Normally, the AE user account is never even used at the logon screen, so its desktop and quicklaunch are not important to AE

Maybe I should draw some nice concept pictures to make that clearer
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    I'm not quite sure if I understand or you misunderstand something

Yes, links should be in the admins quicklaunch area. Nothing new should appear on desktop or quicklaunch or the user account.

The purpose is to use the tools while logged in as admin, with the tools only running as user. Normally, the AE user account is never even used at the logon screen, so its desktop and quicklaunch are not important to AE

Maybe I should draw some nice concept pictures to make that clearer
    YES, evidently I have a misunderstanding of the actual use of this feature or maybe I have found another use? By being in the ADMIN account is what is dangerous, RIGHT? Should you really be in a limited/restricted account? With Admin privileges when the POPUP box appears for the ENTRY of the ADMIN password to run a HIGHER level of access program or is it supposed to downgrade your access to the restricted account when using lesser access programs?

By placing those ICONS within the new account created by AE (example: Boob.[system name] not any sort of AE usage only what it has so graciously provided) as my copy has provided, only without the needed ICONs that I have moved to that access. If I run my FireWall, AntiVirus, or any other program that requires ADMIN privileges that password is required.

Thank you for this explanation and is what I have done a BETTER method of using AE?
    Last edited by LoneLurker; 2009-02-18 at 17:11. Reason: To add, " not any sort of AE usage only what it has so graciously provided)"

[QUOTE=PepiMK;180248]The Problem: software run by an admin account can do anything to the system (Vista at least has UAC there).

The Alternate Solution: knowing that you would just nod your head and yet ignore it if we recommend that non-admin account, we turned a hidden feature of Windows around. Windows allows you to run single applications under a different user account. Usually, we would recommend to use that to run admin applications from a restricted user account, but since we mentioned we've 'given up' asking you to change to that, we've decided to help you using the most endangered types of applications (browsers, email apps, IM apps, multimedia apps) through a restricted user accout instead.

if we all listened millions of malware helpers and distributors would be out of work!

~nods~
    Last edited by musicalpulltoy; 2011-08-29 at 07:06. Reason: forgot "would be" guess i dont know how to quote either