Thread: White/Black List problem with TeaTimer

Default White/Black List problem with TeaTimer

Hi,

I'm running version 1.5.2, just upgraded recently. I'm having some trouble with the white and black list in TeaTimer. I have three users set up on my PC (XP SP2), one is an admin and the other two are limited users.

I haven't been able to exactly figure out the steps that lead to the problem but basically when I try to add a registry change to the white or black list it seems to work OK. I can check the file RegKeyWhite and the entries are in there.

However, sometimes when I log in as a different user the entries in the settings are blank. The file still contains the expected things but they haven't been read from the file by TeaTimer. Then, if I try to add something new to the white list it will overwrite all the entries that were in the file.

If I don't add new entries and then I log back in as the original user, they can still read those entries from the file. It works something like if Admin makes the changes it works OK, then it will work OK for the other users too unless they make a change to it and then it will stop working for everyone except that limited user. Other users can make changes but that breaks it for all the other users until the Admin makes some changes again.

It's a bit confusing, I think it's a permissions thing. The permissions on the Spybot folder in ApplicationData has Full Control for Everyone but still when TeaTimer runs it appears to add Modify permissions for Users?

Any ideas? I'm all out.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

newman:

This is purely a guess, but make sure that all the users have full control on the following registry key and sub-keys:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\SpyBotSnD

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Good guess! I knew it was something like that. The timestamp thing seemed kinda obvious but I could only find the file that controlled the snapshots. I had a quick look in the registry but should've tried harder! Thinking it was a LUA issue I tried LUA Buglight but there were too many registry things (due to the nature of it I suppose) for me to narrow it down.

Cheers!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

newman:

I'm glad you got the problem resolved.

Maybe I should has said "This is just an educated guess, ...", but I didn't have time to test the theory. Thank you for the feedback, it may help others with a similar problem in the future.

Regards,
    md usa spybot fan

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I had teatimer popup after restarting, after an error sent me to blue screen that I get occassionally with video bugging out with world of warcraft.

the teatimer dialogue popped up and I clicked yes to the registry change. I then reopened Firefox and all my links were gone aswell as saved info. I made the mistake of relogging before looking at teatimer and the resident doesn't show anything in the white or black lists

I am the admin and that is the only user.

The log doesn't have it either.
    it was kernelXXXXX I forget exactly what, how do I find and restore it to the white list?