Thread: Blocked Legitimate Site

Default Blocked Legitimate Site

Hello,

I am posting regarding an issue with a legitimate e-commerce site being blocked by Spybot via the HOSTS file. The site in question is http://www.accessorygeeks.com (and an associated site: http://site.accessorygeeks.com). Through which criteria did this site become blocked, and how long ago?

Thank you.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-04-09 at 21:35. Reason: disabled links ;-)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

AGeek:

This subject was brought up in the following thread within the last week:

Unfortunately no one from "Team Spybot" has addressed the issue yet.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hello,

I will leave a note for our detectives.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thank you for the info. I have also already sent an e-mail to the Spybot team and am awaiting a reply. I help manage the website and have had cases where customers call in trying to figure out why they cannot connect to the Accessory Geeks website. I could not figure it out until now and it seems as if Spybot has had the particular site blocked for a while now. I just want to figure out the reason Spybot blocked the site in the first place and if we can have current Spybot users get their HOSTS file updated with the Accessory Geeks entry removed.

I guess the major problem is for those who may have run Spybot and uninstalled it later. The HOSTS file remains intact with our site being blocked. As you may have guessed, people would just think our site was down and, knowing how popular Spybot is, that would be a lot of potential customers not seeing the site and simply leaving for elsewhere.

thank you for reporting this issue, I can confirm that it is a false positive that has been around for a while
    this will be corrected asap
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Yodama,

Thank you very much for the update. However, is there a record of when the site was set to blocked? Also, what kind of procedure was used to determine we should be blocked? I would just like to know in order to prevent cases like this from happening again.

Thank you!