Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Probem after d/l'ing updates today

Hello,

You seem to be using a dated version of Spybot-S&D.
    Please download our current version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2. That should fix it.
    You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.5.2.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Followed all instructions and everything seems to be working great,,thank you for all your help and for understanding that I'm not very technically savy as far as computers go,,I notice all your instructions to people are easy to follow and to understand,,again thank you. One further question if I may ask,,,and I looked in the help section of S&D and read the turtorial on this subject but I'm just a little confused but,,what does "immunizing" do in lay terms,,,thanks for all your help and hope I don't have to bother you any time soon.

Bill
    Last edited by firebrddriver; 2008-04-11 at 19:31.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Bill:

Quote Originally Posted by firebrddriver View Post
    ... what does "immunizing" do in lay terms...
    Breafly:

Immunization in Spybot 1.5.

The immunization process adds entries to the system registry and/or files to either restrict certain things that a site (domain) you are accessing through your browser is allowed to do or blocks access to the that site (domain) entirely.

The items listed under "Internet Explorer (32 bit) " and "Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) " add entries to the system registry.
    • Items listed as "... (Cookies)" block the storing of cookies from certain sites.
    • Items listed as "... (Domains)" and "... (IPs)" add sites to the restricted sites zone.
      • "... (Domains)" are added to the restricted sites zone by domain name.
      • "... (IPs)" are added to the restricted sites zone by IP Address.
      Adding sites to the restricted zone blocks their ability to store cookies, download ActiveX processes as well as placing other restrictions on those sites depending on your settings for restricted zone sites within Internet Explorer.
    • Items listed as "... (Plugins)" block the download/execution of specific ActiveX processes.

The items listed under Mozilla products such as "Firefox" add entries to Mozilla's hostperm.1 file.
    • Items listed as "... (Cookies)" prohibit sites from storing cookies.
    • Items listed as "... (Images)" prohibit sites from displaying images.
    • Items listed as "... (Installations)" prohibit sites from initiating extensions installations.
    • Items listed as "... (Popups)" prohibit sites from opening popup windows.

The item listed under "System" adds entries to the system's HOSTS file.
    • Item listed as "Global (Hosts)" adds entries to the system HOSTS file, equating site names (domain names) to the localhost (your system), affectively blocking access to those sites.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-04-11 at 22:16.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I have one final question,,with the older version of S&D I had to manually start it,,the newer version starts as I'm booting up,,if i didn't want the new version to start could I just go into msconfig and uncheck the tea timer???

firebrddriver:

I have one final question,,with the older version of S&D I had to manually start it,,the newer version starts as I'm booting up,,if i didn't want the new version to start could I just go into msconfig and uncheck the tea timer???
    Yes you could but there is facility within Spybot to do that. To disable TeaTimer:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
    • Uncheck the following:
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

So in other words if I disable teatimer within the advanced mode,,instead of in msconfig,,S&D will not start when I boot up,,is that correct??,,but,,,if I leave the settings as they are,,with S&D running from the get go,,(boot up) do I have "real time " protection,,the same as say you have with an anti virus program? One very last question,,,how often should you immunize,,or is that a one time only thing when you install S&D,,,,,again thanks for all your help in dealing with a computer challenged person like me. Everyone on the advisory team is tops!!
    Last edited by firebrddriver; 2008-04-12 at 23:04.

Boy everytime I think I've asked my last question I come up with a new one,hopefully this will be the last,,when I up-date I notice I have to check off,,,"English taget descriptions" and "English help file",,,did I forget to do something in the install process,,or is this built into S&D where you have to check it off manually,,I guess theres no way it could be d/l'ed automatically with the other up-dates,,,its no big thing,,I was just wondering if I had the chance to select that option when I did the install and didn't pick it,,,thanks.

Firebrddriver:

So in other words if I disable teatimer within the advanced mode,,instead of in msconfig,,S&D will not start when I boot up,,is that correct?? …
    That is correct.

… but,,,if I leave the settings as they are,,with S&D running from the get go,,(boot up) do I have "real time " protection,,the same as say you have with an anti virus program? …
    If you leave that setting alone, TeaTimer will start when you logon. TeaTimer is not really that same as an anti-virus program, but you essentially have real time protection.

… One very last question,,,how often should you immunize,,or is that a one time only thing when you install S&D. …
    You should immunize each time you update.

… when I up-date I notice I have to check off,,,"English taget descriptions" and "English help file",,,did I forget to do something in the install process,,or is this built into S&D where you have to check it off manually,,I guess theres no way it could be d/l'ed automatically with the other up-dates,,,its no big thing,,I was just wondering if I had the chance to select that option when I did the install and didn't pick it,,,thanks.
    Not all updates items are checked by default and there is no option during the installation that controls that. The development team determines which update items are checked when they set up the control file for the updates.

I'm finished in this thread if you want to archive it,,or whatever you do with threads that ended,,,thanks again!!!