Thread: Computer Life saver needed, please

Lightbulb Computer Life saver needed, please

In 2005 a computer/virus repair storefront store... said they took away my Spybot and a few other similar lesser programs, because they felt it was slowing my computer... this may have started the problem. Now Spybot is "in the way", according to McAfee renewing installation. I don't think it is running, but if I try to delete the whole file, in program files, it says "cannot delete SDHelper.dll Access is denied"... perhaps it's alive. I tried going to "add and remove programs" first. It said the uninstall file "spybot-search & destroy/unins000.dat is missing, cannot uninstall" (I can see that it is there in program files, but it says the same thing if I click on it). Is there any help for an "infidel backslider" from Spybot? I sort-of like McAffee... well except for renewing time. I tried the method in (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html) but did not run the "this very small fix" there, because I could no erase the Spybot file as it said (see above). Perhaps that's what I should do. Please... any input, to help "my wit's end", would help. Perhaps I can borrow, someone else's uninstall file somehow... whew... don't even know how that's possible.
    Last edited by firmpillow; 2008-04-13 at 18:57. Reason: saw a new method, that didn't work

When trying to delete the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder in Program Files,did you have Internet Explorer open?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

firmpillow:

You must first stop Spybot's SDHelper Browser Helper Object (SDHelper.dll) from running.

These instructions are for Internet Explorer 7 and may be different for IE 6. To stop the SDHelper BHO from running:
    • Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select Internet Options.
    • Click on the Programs tab.
    • Click the Manage add-ons button.
    • Scroll down until you find the Spybot-SD IE Protection Browser Helper Object.
    • Highlight that item by clicking on it and then select Disable under Setting.
    • Click OK.

After the SDHelper BHO is disabled, restart you system and you should be able to delete file files without getting the message "cannot delete SDHelper.dll Access is denied".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Lightbulb Thanks, but SDHelper is on for no reason(?)

I tend to use firefox, unless 'need' IE. So I don't think IE was open when I tried to delete the Spybot file. I followed the directions of "Fan" and thank you for it, too.. and I looked hard a few times at the list of add-on things... in IE...with the disable button below... but it just wasn't there. So somehow the SDHelper has remained on, I guess. (One year at the dreaded mcaffe renewing time, I was finally able to get it, finally only after I downloaded AVG again, and the deleted it. Perhaps this is what I should do. My unins000 (uninstall) folder seems empty except for the icon. perhaps this would be fixed this way. I will then with a new Spybot, look for the add-on disable thing too. I might wait till I hear if this is a good idea, from you, or may go ahead. I didn't think of a new Spybot idea till late... was it a good idea... or just a "no-fun" way.

Exclamation

OK, I downloaded Spybot... Well, in my "add and remove" there ended up being two (Spybot and Spybot 1.3) The Spybot "removed" fine, the Spybot 1.3 had the same old problem nothing in the uninstall file. So the new download made a new separate file, so my theory was wrong.

Unless I can get a new uninstall file somehow, I can no longer use a paid-for... not donated for... anti-virus program. I am not rich, or smart as you-guys... I am nervous-paranoid about the stress of another virus... like many years ago. Any advice from the team...or others. What do others do that can't rid themselves of the old program? If nothing works, are there compatible programs. I already paid for another year of McAfee, and doubt I can get a refund.

I do use mcafee siteadvisor (free download add-on to firefox or IE) and it seems to keep me away from all viruses because I touch nothing on a "red light" site... my mcafee scans were always clean...so...if you did not know ...it's a great thing
    Last edited by firmpillow; 2008-04-14 at 10:29.

firmpillow:

In spite of the fact that you do not normally use Internet Explorer, did you attempt to follow my instructions or did you just ignore them?

Because of the close relationship between Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) and Windows Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) when the SDHelper BHO is activated the SDHelper.dll is loaded with both explorer.exe and iexplore.exe. You could probably delete the SDHelper.dll file in DOS before starting Windows Explorer or you could just try my instructions.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Unhappy I'm doing what I'm told...really.

* Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select Internet Options.
    * Click on the Programs tab.
    * Click the Manage add-ons button.
    * Scroll down until you find the Spybot-SD IE Protection Browser Helper Object.
    * Highlight that item by clicking on it and then select Disable under Setting.
    * Click OK.

I did these thing exactly as instructed...
    but there was no Spybot-SD on the list.
    I guess that does not make sense...
    I will do it again right now...in the S's there is

Share in hello...
    SSVHelper Class...
    Sun Java Console...
    plus
    Windows Messenger...
    esnips....
    Adobe PDF...
    {53707962-6F74-2d53-...
    and 4 Yahoo things....

The only variable I can think of...is that IE is not my default browser... but that does not mean anything right....please don't give up on me I am trying... though my neck is no longer stiff as a board nervous...

going into DOS would make it that way... ... never did.... dos was my only non A in night school college...yuck...but if I could be done safely and would not make my hair white... I would / will try it....if you will help... with a bit more instructions.
    Or am I lost cause... I would have to tap something quickly at the right time in the start up sequence, or something...thanks for this ray of hope though... I can't help..that it's not making sense... (your instructions, I'm sure should have worked).
    Last edited by firmpillow; 2008-04-14 at 23:58.

firmpillow:

Since you can't find the Browser Helper object, see if you can find what process is using the SDHelper.dll.

How to find out what is using SDHelper.dll:
    • Download Process Explorer from the following Web page:
    • Extract the downloaded ProcessExplorer.zip file.
    • Execute procexp.exe.
    • After Process Explorer starts, in the Find menu select Find Handle or DLL.
    • Type "SDHelper.dll" (no quotes) in the Handle or DLL Substring entry area and press enter.
    • If SDHelper.dll is being used in a process that process should be displayed.

Thumbs up Apparent failure, but then strangely SUCCESS!!!

Here is what I found ... (I did the search, and it always came up blank, I looked at the tree also and saw, well the below, no SDHelper.dll), (I just did a 'save as' in the menu.) (I am going now to programs file and try again, but it should, as always, say... it can't because SDHelper is on)....Holy Shit! it deleted!!! Thankyou!! I don't know how, but we shut SDHelper off!!!! Whew!! Thank you, Thank you. I will come back to see what you have to say... I have to point out that the window the instuctions brought me to yesturday said "Mangage Add-ons" so we both were right... I was not being a disobedient 'bad boy'... well "so what".... somehow... I can use McAfee now, but am trying to get my Dad to use Spybot... and donate.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name
    System Idle Process 0 98.44
    Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
    DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls
    System 4
    smss.exe 420 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation
    csrss.exe 468 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
    winlogon.exe 492 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation
    services.exe 536 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation
    svchost.exe 712 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
    svchost.exe 760 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
    svchost.exe 828 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
    svchost.exe 920 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
    svchost.exe 956 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
    LEXBCES.EXE 1084 LexBce Service Lexmark International, Inc.
    LEXPPS.EXE 1140 LEXPPS.EXE Lexmark International, Inc.
    spoolsv.exe 1148 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
    mainserv.exe 284 Battery backup management service American Power Conversion Corporation
    AppleMobileDeviceService.exe 464 Apple Mobile Device Service Apple, Inc.
    cisvc.exe 472 Content Index service Microsoft Corporation
    cidaemon.exe 3248 Indexing Service filter daemon Microsoft Corporation
    MagicTuneEngine.exe 816
    MagicTune.exe 2812 MagicTune SEC
    nvsvc32.exe 880 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 163.75 NVIDIA Corporation
    slserv.exe 1244 User-Level Modem Service
    svchost.exe 1632 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
    iPodService.exe 2168 iPodService Module Apple Inc.
    alg.exe 2376 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation
    lsass.exe 548 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation
    explorer.exe 1460 0.78 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
    SOUNDMAN.EXE 1532 Realtek Sound Manager Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    WkUFind.exe 1556 Microsoft® Works Update Detection Microsoft® Corporation
    realsched.exe 1564 RealNetworks Scheduler RealNetworks, Inc.
    jusched.exe 1572 Java(TM) Platform SE binary Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    ClientGW.exe 1588 eSnips Ltd.
    GoogleDesktop.exe 1596 Google Desktop Google
    GoogleDesktop.exe 1756 Google Desktop Google
    GoogleDesktop.exe 1964 Google Desktop Google
    rundll32.exe 1612 Run a DLL as an App Microsoft Corporation
    iTunesHelper.exe 1636 iTunesHelper Module Apple Inc.
    LWEMon.exe 1660 Logitech WingMan Event Monitor Logitech Inc.
    msmsgs.exe 1704 Windows Messenger Microsoft Corporation
    mssysmgr.exe 1728 Walgreens PhotoShow Media Manager Simple Star, Inc.
    GammaTray.exe 1828 GammaTray MFC ?? ????
    LastFMHelper.exe 1840 Last.fm Helper Last.fm
    NCProTray.exe 1872 NCPro Samsung
    GoogleWebAccWarden.exe 1944
    GoogleWebAccClient.exe 2664
    procexp.exe 2320 0.78 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
    apcsystray.exe 244 PowerChute system tray power icon American Power Conversion Corporation
    Ymsgr_tray.exe 1212 Yahoo! Messenger Tray Yahoo! Inc.
    Last edited by firmpillow; 2008-04-15 at 17:43.

Talking Have a good day MD USA.

McAfee installed, such a beautiful sight. I am pacing around my apartment waving my fists. You deserve the lulz, MD USA.