Thread: Spybot S&D 1.5.2 Kills Yahoo Mail Service

Default Spybot S&D 1.5.2 Kills Yahoo Mail Service

The installation of Spybot S&D 1.5.2 yesterday (update from previous version) prevented access to my Yahoo Mail account. Shortly after signing into Yahoo Mail, as the main mail page was building, a dialog popped up talking about something detected (URL wraps off the screen). Since the "Accept" button was deactivated, the only option was to "Deny" whatever it is.

In the process of that, no matter what I did (deny, wait, etc), the Yahoo Mail page timed out with an error message ("mail not responding..." or something similar) and stopped working. At that point, I was not able to view my mail, select most options on that page, or even sign-out using the button provided on the page. Most of the links on the page appear to be plain text instead of active links.

I selected "Block all pages silently" in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window, as described in another thread. While this prevented the pop-up, it did nothing for the problem with the Yahoo Mail page. After trying every option I could think of, I even scanned my computer, for both spyware and viruses, and found nothing.

In frustration, I finally uninstalled Spybot S&D this morning and Yahoo Mail is now working as before. Perhaps deactivating "Resident SD helper" or TeaTimer would eliminate the problem, but I don't have a clue how to do that. So, given a choice between Spybot S&D or my mail and absent a great suggestion here, it appears my computer will not have Spybot S&D installed for the first time in several years.

Stewart
    Last edited by stewartx; 2008-04-17 at 11:18.

Hello,

If you want to install it again you can act like this:
    Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to the Advanced mode via the menu item Mode.
    Now select 'Tools' - 'Resident' from the navigation bar on the left.
    Please untick the checkbox in front of the 'SdHelper'.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Yes, after uninstalling Spybot S&D, I finally found that option somewhat cryptically listed under "How to disable Spybot-S&D temporarily" at the bottom of the FAQ's page. However, at this point, I'm just not happy with the direction Spybot S&D is taking. The program started as a passive tool to scan for spywire (only when I wanted), but has slowly evolved into a program nearly as intrusive itself.

Those older versions, for example, would not have done this to Yahoo Mail (requiring hours to troubleshoot). Those older versions also did not require the nearly constant attention this latest version seems to demand (popups, blocked web pages, etc).

Given that, it's perhaps time for me to find an alternative. Spybot S&D may indeed still be a good program, but it's just no longer the program for me.

Stewart
    Last edited by stewartx; 2008-04-18 at 02:42.

Thumbs up its still a better program,,

spybot is still the best,,,while every one is getting infected,,,my pc is clean,,i have yet to get infected,, i love spybot.
    i also use spyware blaster,,,its good too,,these two programs work good together as a team,,,,been using both since my windows 98 days.

i now have windows XP home SP2.
    1 gig of ram and a 40 gig hard drive.
    its a dell dimension 2400,,had it for almost three years now,,has never crashed yet,,

"knock on wood",,,lol