Thread: Problem with e-omniture tracking cookie

Default Problem with e-omniture tracking cookie

Forgive me if this is not the right section of the forum but it is my first post!

I am a very experienced eBay user, yet since yesterday, when looking at an item, when the photo is being loaded IE crashes with the 'encounetred a problem' message. If I delete internet files and look at the cookies, the 'e-omniture.stats' tracking cookie has been loaded (indeed, when the photo is loading it says it is getting it from 'e-omniture.stats').

I can delete that cookie (it is a tracking cookie) and if I go back to the item it loads fine, but if I look again, it happens again!

Omniture.com is in my hosts file, I've run spybot and got a clean system and immunized, yet this damned cookie keeps appearing and IE keeps crashing! The error report from IE mentions shockwave and lack of memory - could it simply be a memory issue and the e-omniture always appears? If it is memory-related, how can I fix it as I haven't changed anything and don't usually have this problem? How di I block that tracking cookie using spybot?

Many thanks if you can help!

Security Expert: Emeritus

Hi davesarge

See here
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006

Shaba - Thanks for that. I used the second option to block 3rd party cookies in IE. However, when I went back to Ebay and looked at 2 items it crashed on the second one again, even though the omniture cookie wasn't there. It was just trying to download the photo from the ebay mirror site sofe.ebay which hosts their photos.

The strange thing is that if I do the exact same thing on ebay.com, it works perfectly, which suggests thet ebay.co.uk have done something, or that their system works differently.

I've mailed ebay several times, but they keep asking for different info or screen shots.

Hi

You might want to send them some screenshots in that case.

I've sent them the snapshots - but someone else has now told me they've got the same problem which also started on Saturday - like mine did! It definitely sounds as though ebay made some system changes Friday night that have had an adverse effect.

Still at least I've had a good system tidy up and blocked 3rd party cookies. Hopefully ebay will solve this now.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

You're welcome and I hope that it sorts out

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note: If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.