Thread: "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled" Confusion

Default "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled" Confusion

I checked a thread whose title seems to address this issue, but other than the thread title, the actual discussion doesn't seem to deal with my concerns.

When I ran Spybot the first time, it listed this in the results:
    Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

Is this a statement of a condition within my system, or is it the title of a deceptively-named malware item that needs to be removed.

Since this item is one continuous line of characters I would guess it's the name of a malware item that will be deleted when I click "Fix Selected Problems". Otherwise it would be listed like this:
    "Microsoft Windows Security Center is disabled."

Are my assumptions correct?

BTW, I just checked my MS "Windows Security Center", and my Internet Security is set to MEDIUM, my Windows Firewall is turned on, and Automatic Updates is turned off (due to major havoc caused by having it turned on a couple of years ago). So, the idea that "MS Win Security Center is disabled" doesn't make any sense.
    Thanks for any input you can give me.

Smile

If when you expand the red "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled" you see "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsve\Start(is not)W=2" then SpybotSD is simply warning you that your Security Centre service is turned off, which in this instance is by your choice.

If you really must have this service turned off, then you can prevent SpybotSD from reminding you by putting Spybot into Advanced mode, then going to Settings>Ignore Products. Select the Security.sbi tab, go down the list to Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCentre_disabled and tick the box.

Perhaps a better approach though would be to turn this service back on, then go to Control Panel>Security Center>Change the wayt the security centre alerts me and untick the Automatic updates box. The Security Centre service must be running before you can access this option.

I am assuming that you are doing the MS updates manually - if not then you may be at risk.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-04-21 at 10:12.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    If you really must have this service turned off, then you can prevent SpybotSD from reminding you by putting Spybot into Advanced mode, then going to Settings>Ignore Products. Select the Security.sbi tab, go down the list to Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCentre_disabled and tick the box.
    Perhaps I should also have added that another way to stop SpybotSD from warning you of this situation in future scans is to right click on the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsve\Start(is not)W=2" and select "Exclude this detection from further searches"