Thread: Hosts file update contention

Default Hosts file update contention

Hi

I have 3 XPSP2 very close to fully patched and I am running Spybot S&D 1.5.2 as well as Panda Internet Security 2008 with pattern files up to date.

I am getting immunization update blocking from Panda IS 2K8 on 2 of the three boxes both of which are laptops of different models but all hardware is Dell. The desktop PC updates and immunizes fine. I have spoken to Panda and they have deferred to this community.

I have checked file access rights on the working box against those on the laptops and they are identical to the workstation hosts file.

I have also tried the undo solution which was found as a bug fix for a similar solution.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Lightbulb

Try Disabling Panda and then try immunizing again.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Try Disabling Panda and then try immunizing again.
    Thanks .... but that is what I am doing now! This is drastic in that the entire environment is exposed for the sake of an update process!

Any other ideas?

Question

Is it only the host file that is blocked during the immunisation?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Is it only the host file that is blocked during the immunisation?
    Yes that is correct all other entries applied to the immunisation process are updated correctly!

Default Hosts file update contention

I've had this problem for some time also - 8303 unprotected in the host file.

Thought I would try something not expecting anything, but I shut down my firewall (ZA) and ran the immunize again and low and behold to my surprise, all files are now protected. The host file was locked in ZA.

Hope that this might be your problem and helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I've had this problem for some time also - 8303 unprotected in the host file.

Thought I would try something not expecting anything, but I shut down my firewall (ZA) and ran the immunize again and low and behold to my surprise, all files are now protected. The host file was locked in ZA.

Hope that this might be your problem and helps you.

In my case this doesn't seem to solve the issue. I have to kill off the entire virus protection.

The other interesting thing is why does it working without a problem on the desktop PC but does not work on either laptop?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by feeks View Post
    Yes that is correct all other entries applied to the immunisation process are updated correctly!
    You might refer to this item by md usa spybot fan
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...73&postcount=2

I can't find any reference to advanced settings at all in the Panda manual I looked at. Perhaps their technical support could tell you how to turn off Host file blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    You might refer to this item by md usa spybot fan
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...73&postcount=2

I can't find any reference to advanced settings at all in the Panda manual I looked at. Perhaps their technical support could tell you how to turn off Host file blocking.
    Apologies for the delay in responding! I agree that Panda should be doing something about this and I did start there, however they have stated very clearly that they will not change their policy to the maintenance of the hosts file. The reference that they used to a number of Microsoft documents were really contradictory.

having loced the hosts file from update and knowing that Panda is not going to allow updates I guess will have to do!

Thanks for everyone's input

Smile

feeks,

Once you have proved to yourself that the problem is caused by Panda locking the host file (and you can do that safely OFFLINE by temporarily disabling it), and if there is no user control of host file locking in that product, then it becomes your personal decision as to whether you continue to use Panda or not.

Spybot is not the only protection product that inserts entries into the host file, and in fact Microsoft have described how users can do this themselves.

Whilst locking the host file to prevent unauthorised modification is an accepted practice, other products that do so provide a user setting for the lock.

Perhaps it is a matter of chosing products that allow you to remain in control of your own computer.