Thread: Spybot and AVG fail to remove

Default Spybot and AVG fail to remove

Two days ago my neighbour woke up to find her computer screen full of warning messages about spyware. There was a large red image on the computer which would open up certain pages and many messages that were imitating Window's messages that told her to follow the link to remove the spyware. My neighbour paniced and followed the links, thus infecting the computer further. I spent the whole day getting rid of the problems, including downloading Spybot for the first time.
    Even after running both Spybot and AVG 7.4 (free version) the problems persisted.
    The following message would come up randomly on web pages:

The next day many of the problems were back. The large red image was gone but icons had been added to the desktop and the start page for the internet kept on attempting to change. I ran Spybot and AVG once more. AVG found nothing but Spybot found these;

Which I deleated.

Today the problems have come back again, with the same things listed in Spybot.

These are the icons that were added to the desktop (cirlced);

And the Spybot icon was also removed.

This is one of the 'windows' messages that came up before Spybot was used;

This is another of the messages that came up plus the site that Spybot was telling me something was trying to direct me to;

This problem is now in it's third day and nothing seems to be able to rid it completely. One of the icons, the Privacy Protector, remains even after the Spybot clean up. The internet messages seem to have stopped for now but I don't think the problem is over.

Exclamation Malware Removal

Hi precious,

If you want a helper to guide you through the process of removing any malware on your neighbour's computer please post to the Malware Removal forum:

- Please read this before you post in the Malware Removal Forum ---> "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

- Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum where a helper will advise you when available

honda

Default i suggest....

i've incounter problems like yours before.....what i did is i've installed not just one anti-spyware....but three.....to completely remove the spyware its because one anti spyware cannot remove all of its content but others can....do you get what i mean....
    ..heres some that i used...
    spybot...
    avg anti spyware...
    adaware....

....install those three and run a scan....
    just ry it...it may help...

Hello,

Please make sure that you are running the latest version of Spybot - Search & Destroy including the latest updates.

To see which version number and/or updates of Spybot - Search & Destroy you are using please run Spybot-S&D and choose "Help" --> "About" in the menu bar.
    There you can see which version you have and which updates are installed.
    It should be version 1.5.2 and the updates from the 2008/04/30.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I had this exact same issue come up on a customer's PC.
    Right click on one of the icons and see where the path goes.
    Google that program file name or path and you'll find the fix listed on the first pages of Google results.

Can't remember the name of it, but it was a well documented issue.

Greg