Within the past few months or so I've been getting a red-X "RichEdit line insertion error" (screenshot) on my WinME system (oddly enough, *not* on my isolated Win98 system) in the Tools -> System Startup section. The comments in the pullout panel have always been a bit 'funky' (links and formatting rendered as strictly plaintext), but the information has often been invaluable in determining a course of action. Sadly, since the functionality has been impaired by the "RichEdit line insertion error", I'm pretty much in the dark when a new startup item is presented (or when checking current entries against look-alikes - example SysTray.exe, where a wealth of info was to be had from the pullout panel).

Have looked around some and gleaned that RichEdit is somewhat of a format-universalizer for making text readable in different platforms, but have no idea of why I'm getting this error or how to fix it (other than re-installing the OS, lol). Just did a 'clean' de/re-install of SSD v1.5.2.20 per md usa's comprehensive instruction here .. and the error still persists.

(slightly OT nit-pick) The installer may still be messing up by a wee small hair - Startmenu shortcut for ..\Help\English.chm has an extraneous .tutorial (English.tutorial.chm) in it as installed. Perhaps for localizations?

Anyhow, would much appreciate any help or pointers on fixing my RichEdit issue ...