Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.5 not Work on Win98

Unhappy Spybot 1.5 not Work on Win98

April 26, 2008
    I have been using SB v1.4 on my old PC with Win98. I saw on your compatibility page > Supported Operating systems > Windows 98: Fully Functional.
    Question: Which version does this refer to, 1.4 or 1.5?
    If it's 1.5, then after I had a successful install (at least, it appeared that way), when I try to start SB v1.5, this error msg. comes up:

Spybot: Application Error
    Exception Eaccess Violation in Module SPYBOT.EXE at 002E609B in Module 'SPYBOT.EXE'.
    Read of Address FFFFFFFF
    [I have no idea what any of this means!]

I'm sorry but I can't remember the whole exact version numbers of the 1.5 I tried to run. But it was what ever was the latest one on your download page. This was 3 days ago. I have reverted back to SB v1.4, which works real good on my PC.

OS: Windows 98 4.10.1998 [plus all critical updates until MS dropped support for Win98] FAT32
    AV: AVG Free Edition 7.5.519 (up to date sig.)
    Firewall: Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition - Free v3.0.08686
    WinPatrol Plus v14.0.2007.1
    Firefox Browser v2.0.0.14
    CPU: AMD K6-2 3D Processor
    400MHz
    319 MB RAM
    6.82GB Hard Drive [Used 1.46GB]
    DirectX 9.0c

Thanx for any input.
    Para51

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thumbs down Overweight for win98

Your problem is not unique. Checkout Becky's post:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27260

I actually got this version to run on win98se. I could not update without continuously receiving error warnings and crashes. The datfile in the download is 2008/4/24. System resources are dangerously low on this application S&D 1.5.2.

Angry I Give Up!!!

I have followed 'Terminator's' post: See here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27344, 3 times & have had no luck in getting Spybot 1.5 to work on my old PC (Win98).

I just keep getting the "illegal operation" msg., every time I go to open SB 1.5.

So I give up! Done! Finished! Ka-put! No more! Quit! Throw in the Towel! Pull the Plug! Resign!........

It's back to v1.4, it is!!! At least it still works, until someone decides to pull the plug on keeping it updated with signatures & such. Then we'll see...

Thanks for the assistance given to me.

Kind Regards
    Para51

Hello, para51. Can you download the Spybot-SD again from the link? I do not see how you may not Spybot-SD because I ran v.1.5.2.20 (latest & updates) and it ran fine on a Windows ME computer w/ 64 MB of RAM. Also can you perform a "cleanup" by using CCleaner?

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Tell me the results.

Lightbulb Sorry. No Go!

drragostea, I just put on the upgrade to 'ME' from 98 but now a friend gave me the UBUNTU = FiestyFawn CD [Linux]. I have been kind of looking at Linux for a while now, so I'm going to install it over Win ME.

I don't know if Spybot is made to work with Linux, but the Ubuntu program basics are going to keep me very busy for a while learning the ropes.

BTW, I forgot to put on the 1st post, that I do have CC and have cleaned 98 every 2nd day. Very good program!

But anyways, I have had it with win98 and if I don't like the Ubuntu, I will go back to Win ME! But from what I've seen with Ubuntu (as a Live CD, B4 install), I don't think I'll be back to Windows for sometime.

So thanks for the post.
    Kind Regards
    Para51

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Para51 View Post

I don't know if Spybot is made to work with Linux,
    Linux/Unixfull Wine support in 1.5
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Para51 View Post
    But anyways, I have had it with win98 and if I don't like the Ubuntu, I will go back to Win ME! But from what I've seen with Ubuntu (as a Live CD, B4 install), I don't think I'll be back to Windows for sometime.
    Win98/ME are no longer supported operating systems and therefore cannot be patched and updated, making them very vulnerable to exploits.

Ubuntu may be a better choice for you if not planning to upgrade to Win XP or Windows Vista.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Win98/ME are no longer supported operating systems and therefore cannot be patched and updated, making them very vulnerable to exploits. Ubuntu may be a better choice for you if not planning to upgrade to Win XP or Windows Vista.
    Hello, para. Like tashi, said Ubuntu may be a good alternative (such as iMac and Linux) over the Windows OS if you would prefer. Many of my people I know use Windows based-OS because it is easy to install programs. Should you move to Windows XP, I would suggest you use that. I planned to purchase a Vista Home Premium, but after hearing about all the update troubles, I decided to abandon the idea. Windows XP are off the shelves after June 30, 2008.

Surf safe. ~Firewall and AV.

Thumbs up I updated the Thread about w98 issues

Hi, as I can see there are several threads open with mainly the same problem, as I started one of them, I feel responsible to let you know what did I do to solve my specific problem. Please see the following:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27260
    where I updated the info.

Good luck!!!
    Becky

Talking win98/Me Patches+Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Win98/ME are no longer supported operating systems and therefore cannot be patched and updated, making them very vulnerable to exploits.

Ubuntu may be a better choice for you if not planning to upgrade to Win XP or Windows Vista.

For anyone who is interested, there is this website: AXCEL216/MDGx Free WinDOwS Software ESSENTIALS: http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm that has patches/fixes for Win 95 and up.

Having been referred to this site by an MS Tech (via a blog), I have been able to find many MS patches & Fixs for Win 98/Me. [I scan every thing 1st with Dr.Web B4 D/L & then rescan all files again with AV & AS, before installing.]

I also do have another PC, [bigger & better] that I use for other things.
    Win XPPro/MCE, 768MB RAM, 60G HD, etc., etc. I use this old PC for checking things out, like forums, blogs, testing programs on, etc., etc.

But being a good Father , I let my Kids use the bigger PC for their music, games, homework, R banking, etc., etc.

One last Q(?) Why is it when I go to preview this post I'm typing, that the forum makes me log in again, before viewing the post?? Am I on a time limit to type these posts up? Cause I'm not a fast typer & do like to think about what I put in here (I don't like the taste of my foot in my mouth!).

Regards
    Para51