I have a question. I have a laptop system that my anti-virus (avast) all of the sudden found a virus called win32:virtob-gen. It just found it yesterday and I have no idea where I might have picked it up. I literally only went to one internet site, which was my college campus website and then opened some spreadsheets that I created. Anyway, I tried to do some research on this virus and the avast website says that it is extremely difficult if not impossible to remove. it seems to have infected nearly 400 .exe files already, including hjt, hence, I'm leery to even attempt to connect to the internet on this system. Has anyone heard of this and can it be fixed without a complete re-install of the operating system??

You guys have really helped me before on this forum, specifically on this computer. I did create a system restore point after it was cleaned before, but it looks like the virus has infected some system restore points as well. I'm not quite sure how to show any of the logs that you guys need to see since it seems to be so badly infected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blackhawk2