Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtob

Default Virtob

I have a question. I have a laptop system that my anti-virus (avast) all of the sudden found a virus called win32:virtob-gen. It just found it yesterday and I have no idea where I might have picked it up. I literally only went to one internet site, which was my college campus website and then opened some spreadsheets that I created. Anyway, I tried to do some research on this virus and the avast website says that it is extremely difficult if not impossible to remove. it seems to have infected nearly 400 .exe files already, including hjt, hence, I'm leery to even attempt to connect to the internet on this system. Has anyone heard of this and can it be fixed without a complete re-install of the operating system??

You guys have really helped me before on this forum, specifically on this computer. I did create a system restore point after it was cleaned before, but it looks like the virus has infected some system restore points as well. I'm not quite sure how to show any of the logs that you guys need to see since it seems to be so badly infected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blackhawk2

Security Expert: Emeritus

Hi Blackhawk2

Virtob is also know as virut.

It depends on variant if it can be removed (or actually cured as it adds programs code to exe files).

But it is advisable to reformat, yes.

If you like to attempt cleaning, I can give you instructions.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006

Default Please

I think I would like to try and clean it. I have some files, mainly excel and word documents, that I would like to save. I know that this virus attaches itself to .exe and .scr files, but I am even hesitant to hook up an external hard drive in fear that it will pick up the infection.

Thanks for your assistance (again) Shaba!

Blackhawk2

Hi

"I have some files, mainly excel and word documents, that I would like to save. I know that this virus attaches itself to .exe and .scr files, but I am even hesitant to hook up an external hard drive in fear that it will pick up the infection."

You can burn them to CD/DVD.

Let's start with this:

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner. You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
    • The program will launch and then start to download the latest definition files.
    • Once the scanner is installed and the definitions downloaded, click Next.
    • Now click on Scan Settings
    • In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:

o Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:

+ Extended (If available otherwise Standard)

o Scan Options:

+ Scan Archives
      + Scan Mail Bases
    • Click OK
    • Now under select a target to scan select My Computer
    • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run. Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Please do not use your computer while the scan is running. Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Click the Save Report As... button (see red arrow below)
    • In the Save as... prompt, select Desktop
    • In the File name box, name the file KasScan-ddmmyy (or similar)
    • In the Save as type prompt, select Text file (see below)
    • Now click on the Save as Text button
    • Savethe file to your desktop.
    • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

Note: This scanner will work with Internet Explorer Only! Keep ALL other programs closed during the scan

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the license, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.

- a fresh HijackThis log
    - kaspersky report

HiJack this is one of the files that avast said was infected. Should I download a new copy first or will it matter? Thanks.

Blackhawk2

Hi

Well new copy will get infected anyway so no need

Default HJT log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 4:51:42 PM, on 5/3/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
    C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Version Cue CS2] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvd43] C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1739028187-9164629-109817417-1007\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe (User '?')
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q304&bd=presario&pf=laptop
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english...an_unicode.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...?1098588885812
    O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS2 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

--
    End of file - 8498 bytes

Default Kaspersky scan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT
    Saturday, May 03, 2008 4:49:24 PM
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.98.0
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 3/05/2008
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 736972
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
    Scan using the following antivirus database: extended
    Scan Archives: true
    Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
    C:\
    D:\
    E:\

Scan Statistics:
    Total number of scanned objects: 70391
    Number of viruses found: 1
    Number of infected objects: 1
    Number of suspicious objects: 0
    Duration of the scan process: 01:49:29

Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Local Settings\Temp\~DF9C45.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Local Settings\Temp\~DF9C67.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\AntiPhishing\B3BB5BBA-E7D5-40AB-A041-A5B1C0B26C8F.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Download_1clickdvdtoipodsetuprn1.1.2.7.exe Infected: not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.WinFixer.fs skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\config\configuration\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.manager\.tmp43286.instance Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\ibdata1 Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\ib_logfile0 Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\ib_logfile1 Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\versioncue\bhasset.ibd Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\versioncue\bhlabel.ibd Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\versioncue\bhlabeltoversion.ibd Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\versioncue\bhpqentry.ibd Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\versioncue\bhserverglobals.ibd Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\data\versioncue\bhuser.ibd Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\logs\VersionCue.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\aswResp.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\integ\avast.int Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\AshWebSv.ws Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswMaiSv.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\nshield.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\Resident protection.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll Object is locked skipped
    C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped
    C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D5341F9C-33F7-43CF-8BD2-1AE937C9BA1B}\RP41\change.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Antivirus.Evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Internet.evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hsperfdata_SYSTEM\332 Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ib83 Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ib84 Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ib85 Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_5c8.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast4_\Webshlock.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped

Scan process completed.

Hi

OK, kaspersky doesn't seem to recognize it.

* Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop:
    ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/drweb-cureit.exe
    • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file and Allow to run the express scan
    • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
    • Once the short scan has finished, mark the drives that you want to scan.
    • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
    • Click the green arrow at the right, and the scan will start.
    • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
    • When the scan has finished, look if you can click next icon next to the files found:
    • If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:

This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantaine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
    • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
    • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
    • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
    • Reboot your computer!! Because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
    • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web you saved previously in your next reply.

Default result

Process.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\SmitfraudFix;Tool.Prockill;Incurable.Moved.;
    restart.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\SmitfraudFix;Tool.ShutDown.11;Incurable.Moved.;

Just as some added information, when avast first discovered the infection, the warning window popped up and then it asked if I wanted to do a scan. I selected yes, then when avast starts up, it does a system memory check. Avast found several infections in the start up memory. It then brought up a pop up window that said that a restart and recheck upon reboot is recommended. I said O.K. Computer re-booted and avast came up and did a full system scan. During the scan, it found several infected files and moved them to the chest, which is where I still believe they are (about 420files). I might be ableto post a screen capture if you would like.

Thanks again for your patience.

Blackhawk2