Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scan time greatly increased

Default Scan time greatly increased

Last week when I scanned it took just under half an hour. Today it took one hour 4 minutes.
    Now I dont know if this is connected to my upgrading to AVG version 8 as I have not scanned since I did this last week.
    I have done the usual basics such as emptying temp files, cookies etc. but has made no difference.
    The scan is okay til about 90% then stays forever on Zlob, however like I said it eventually completed.
    Incidentally the scan time displayed showed 4.02 when it was one hour 4.02.

I run XP home with SP2. Also have Spywareblaster installed.
    I know there are some issues with false warnings displayed during AVG scan, however do you think this is the cause of the doubling in scan length?

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can be sure is that the new AVG 8.0 Free is showing false positives about Spybot-SD. I have scanned and a few dozen registry keys appeared. I have deleted them and then 190 items in Spywareblaster were unimmunized. 30 were unimmunized in Spybot-SD.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27264

Can you download CCleaner to clean the temp., cache, cookies, "again"? See if that solves the problem.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Thanks.

I did that but no improvement.
    When I scanned again it took one hour 10 mins BUT the odd thing was on the time displayed for the scan when it ended it showed 20 mins one second!
    Its fine until it gets to 125500 or so and then it takes forever on Zlob.downloader.bs
    It scanned and finished and found no problems so I still have the use of spybot which I would not want to lose, however it is inconvenient with taking so long to scan.
    Also before scanning I disabled the protection in spywareblaster but that made no difference.
    I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has downloaded AVG 8 free in the last week so so if they are meeting the same problem or if not what their scan times are.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie 58 View Post
    I did that but no improvement.
    When I scanned again it took one hour 10 mins BUT the odd thing was on the time displayed for the scan when it ended it showed 20 mins one second!
    Its fine until it gets to 125500 or so and then it takes forever on Zlob.downloader.bs
    It scanned and finished and found no problems so I still have the use of spybot which I would not want to lose, however it is inconvenient with taking so long to scan.
    Also before scanning I disabled the protection in spywareblaster but that made no difference.
    I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has downloaded AVG 8 free in the last week so so if they are meeting the same problem or if not what their scan times are.
    I've just upgraded to v 8 and first full scan is taking place right now. I didn't note the exact start time, but I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near "Elapsed time 52 minute(s)..." as AVG reports at the moment.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, when you do your first Spybot scan now that you have AVG 8, would you be able to post on here what the Spybot scan time was in total. That will give me a clue as to whether its just me thats having increased scan times.
    Thanking you in advance.

Terrypin, when you do your first Spybot scan now that you have AVG 8, would you be able to post on here what the Spybot scan time was in total. That will give me a clue as to whether its just me thats having increased scan times.
    Thanking you in advance.
    Replied to that in haste a minute ago, but if you saw it ignore it! I'm shuttling between 3 PCs at the moment, my own old and new PCs, and my wife's PC. The latter is running an S&D 1.4 scan. My new PC is running an AVG 8 full scan (and taking forever - perhaps because it's scanning a large Recycle Bin as well). I haven't yet run S&D on this new PC, since installing AVG 8, but willl give you an S&D 1.5 time when I get my act together!

--
    Last edited by terrypin; 2008-05-01 at 13:48.

Terrypin, if you are talking about AVG then you need to uncheck scan within archives on the scan options. This will greatly reduce subsequent scan times and no I am sure AVG did not have a progress bar unlike Spybot.

My first scan with Spybot S&D 1.5 took only 16 mins. But not sure how useful that info is to you, as I can't quote any previous results on this new PC. And it's a fast Intel Quad Core 2.66 MHz, 4 GB, much higher spec than my last.

BTW, AVG 8 took about 1 hour 45. In fact it was still running then, but starting to scan an external 120 GB HD which I'd installed this morning.

Thanks for the tip about the AVG Scan within archives option. I saw that but didn't really know how to interpret 'archives'. OK - ZIPs etc.

--
    Last edited by terrypin; 2008-05-01 at 17:42.

@terrypin. It is normal for AVG 8.0 to be scanning for well over an hour. The average scanning time (default scan settings [scan within archives]) was around 1 hour and 5 mins. This time, I would not, consider fast, because it would make sense that it is normal. I have cleared all the "gutter" out of the system prior to each scan (browser tracks and recycle bin).

Last week when I scanned it took just under half an hour. Today it took one hour 4 minutes.
    Now I dont know if this is connected to my upgrading to AVG version 8 as I have not scanned since I did this last week.
    I have done the usual basics such as emptying temp files, cookies etc. but has made no difference.
    The scan is okay til about 90% then stays forever on Zlob, however like I said it eventually completed.
    Incidentally the scan time displayed showed 4.02 when it was one hour 4.02.

I run XP home with SP2. Also have Spywareblaster installed.
    I know there are some issues with false warnings displayed during AVG scan, however do you think this is the cause of the doubling in scan length?
    Similar problem for me.

On my Windows XP Pro SP2 machine, running Spybot 1.5.2.20, a scan took 55 minutes, compared to an average over the last few weeks of 40 to 45 minutes. It slowed noticeably when scanning Zlob.Downloader.bs.

On my Windows 98SE machine, running Spybot 1.5.2.20, the scan hadn't completed after three (3) hours. It slowed noticeably when scanning Zlob.Downloader.bs, and eventually appeared to 'hang' when the status bar was showing 135520/150537. Normally it completes in about 32 minutes on this machine.

Contrary to the situation described in a couple of posts, reporting a similar problem, AVG is not installed or running on either of my machines.