Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scan time greatly increased

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Debbie 58:

If you do not want to run the scan for "Zlob.downloader.bs":
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore products.
    • Locate the item that you what to exclude from the scan ("Zlob.downloader.bs") and check it.
    md usa spybot fan,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I excluded Zlob.downloader.bs and the scan on my Windows 98SE machine completed successfully in 47:53 minutes.

This compares with my previous scan which hadn't completed after 3 hours (see my prior post).

Hello, marjohnau. Have you defragmented your drive with Windows 98SE? Also have you performed a "cleanup" read my pervious posts. My aunt's Windows ME completed around 30 mins... and I do not think it ever had a problem like freezing during scan. Her computer is just old... due to the inadequate quantity of RAM. Lols, modern computers should have at least 512 MB of RAM.

Default scan time greatly increased

md usa spybot fan, thank you for the info about the scan time.

Also the info given to debbie58 was also my problem, so I will follow her lead.
    It really seems that the culprit here must be that zlob downloader too.

Will look forward for next updates, and hopefully there will be a fix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Hello, marjohnau. Have you defragmented your drive with Windows 98SE? Also have you performed a "cleanup" read my pervious posts. My aunt's Windows ME completed around 30 mins... and I do not think it ever had a problem like freezing during scan. Her computer is just old... due to the inadequate quantity of RAM. Lols, modern computers should have at least 512 MB of RAM.
    Hello drragostea,

Yes, I've defragmented the drive with Windows 98SE, and also cleaned up the drive (do both regularly).

Must admit that the old machine only has 128 MB of RAM, but that's always been sufficient for running Windows 98SE.

Looks, to me, as though there is a problem with the Zlob.Downloader.bs scan, rather than the computer/operating system per se.

Hello, marjohnau. Have you read md usa fan's, post? Go to Advanced Mode in the MODE tab. Go to settings and click on IGNORE PRODUCTS. Find the Zlob "fingerprint" and click on it. Spybot-SD should ignore that during the scan. I'll be assuming it'll complete your scan.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Hello, marjohnau. Have you read md usa fan's, post? Go to Advanced Mode in the MODE tab. Go to settings and click on IGNORE PRODUCTS. Find the Zlob "fingerprint" and click on it. Spybot-SD should ignore that during the scan. I'll be assuming it'll complete your scan.
    drragostea,

Thanks for your advice, but if you look at my second last post in this thread (#21) you'll probably notice that that's what I've already done (and reported back on). Hence I was able to report that the scan completed successfully in 47:53 minutes.

Ah. Gotcha.

Downloaded latest definition today. Scan took one hour.

It took 32 mintues on Zlob.downloader.bs to move from 13600 to 13716. All the time the scan is moving slowly I can hear the hard drive working away and the yellow light on the systems casing box is constantly flashing.

Now I know my system is clean as I paid an IT professional to look at it yesterday.
    He also re ran Ccleaner, trojan remover, the smithfraud fix (I had that 18 months ago but Spybot saved my system then), and then he uninstalled AVG 8 and reinstalled AVG 7.5.

Nothing was found on my system that was of any significance.

I also decided to rerun Spybot last night and it took 58 minutes. So that is slightly better.

I guess that I will have to exclude the Zlob file as suggested earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie 58 View Post
    Downloaded latest definition today. Scan took one hour.

It took 32 mintues on Zlob.downloader.bs to move from 13600 to 13716. All the time the scan is moving slowly I can hear the hard drive working away and the yellow light on the systems casing box is constantly flashing.

Now I know my system is clean as I paid an IT professional to look at it yesterday.
    He also re ran Ccleaner, trojan remover, the smithfraud fix (I had that 18 months ago but Spybot saved my system then), and then he uninstalled AVG 8 and reinstalled AVG 7.5.

Nothing was found on my system that was of any significance.

I also decided to rerun Spybot last night and it took 58 minutes. So that is slightly better.

I guess that I will have to exclude the Zlob file as suggested earlier in the thread.
    Here's my take on scanning performance with the latest (7 May 2008) definition updates. Not much different to last week, but for those who are interested.

With Spybot 1.5.2.20:

WinXP SP2 - 54:53 minutes

Win98SE, nothing excluded -

Not finished after 2 hours; 'hung' again when scanning Zlob.Downloader.bs; got as far as 135637/150799. According to the computer clock the computer locked up after 1 hour of scanning.

Win98SE, Zlob.Downloader.bs excluded -

Completed after 56:11 minutes

marjohnau

Windows XP SP3 released 5.6.08. I would suggest you upgrade to it. It won't be a significant difference such as SP2, but it's got a performance boost.