Thread: carpe diem vars

Default carpe diem vars

I try to run spy bot but when it come to a file called "carpe diem vars" it gets hung up on it and won't continue. I assume this file is a virus of some kind. I ran Norton with all the resent updates and adware and they detected nothing. I have also ran spybot, norton and adware in safe mode with no luck.
    Any help would be great.

Red face

Hi Anthony
    Can you located this pest?...if the answer is yes.....try
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
    Bye

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Just so you are not misinterpreting what you are seeing: During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar (lower left hand corner of the Spybot window) shows the following:
    • "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
      • xxxxx = Current check count
      • yyyyy = Total check count
      • zzzzz = Malware being checked for

The zzzzz is the name if the malware being checked for (in this case "CarpeDiem Vars" which is a dialer). It is not necessarily the specific file name or object being scanned for but rather a series of checks for that particular malware.
    1. What version of Spybot are you running?
    2. What is the date of the "Latest detection update"?
    3. Does your processor (CPU) have HyperThreading Technology (HTT)? If you don’t maybe this will help:

The information for items 1 and 2 can be found by going into Spybot > Help > About.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default How do I get rid of Carpe Diem

Hi, I've run latest spy bot several times without beeing able to remove "Carpe Diem Vars" - when i try to fix it windows promts me with a " process still in use by memory..." 'r something like that. After each reboot it's still there, but spy bot directs me towards a directory (documents and settings/.../startmenu/program) i think, but to my surprise there's no files there, (and I have the "show concealed files"-option enabled)... strange(!). I've run all different types of malwaredetectors; McAffe VS, Hjt, Adaware etc, etc but only spybot detects CDV. I've done scans with "sytem restore" disabled, but still, CDV is there waiting for me when I scan with SB again. Is this a tricky one or what! Anyone gots a cluE?

by the way SB removed all other threats that I had, that even McAffe VS couldn't sniff out.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

DoctorComunis:

There are two things that you can try to get rid of the things that Spybot-S&D is having difficulty removing:
    1. Try to run it the next time you reboot.
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings > look for "System start" (located half way down the page).
      • Check the option: "Run program once at next system startup".
      • Reboot the system.
    2. Run it in Safe mode.
      • Reboot your system in Safe mode and run Spybot-S&D.

Note: To reboot your system in Safe mode see:

If Spybot-S&D still fails to remove the problem, consider posting in the Malware Removal forum and having someone take a look at your system. Follow the instructions outlined in the following reference:

Then start a new thread (topic) in the following forum:

Note: Describe the problem you are having and include the HijackThis log and the on-line Anti Virus scan log/report produced when following above instructions.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md usa spybot fan:

Thank's for the swift reply, I'll follw your intuctions, and if it doesn't work - I'll post my problem in the malware section, as you say...
    I'll post again soon to tell you if the advice worked out.

Peace!